Q. I have oozing rashes behind my ears and itchy spots all over my body. Why?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

For the past few months, every couple of weeks, I have been getting terrible oozing rashes behind my ears and extremely itchy spots all over my body. I have been to the doctor and gotten many allergy tests, blood panels, etc., but they never found anything. They just gave me a cortisol shot and sent me home with steroidal cream. Please help.

#

Thank you for writing to us, and I understand your concern. Can you please attach the pictures of your ears? I will have to check the spots then can prescribe you the medicines accordingly. Steroids are given for allergies or infections. The sports you have can be due to infection or allergies. Please send me the picture. Thank you.

Thanks for your reply.

This is my left ear, and the right ear is nearly identical.

#

Thank you for attaching the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I have checked carefully. You have furunculosis, which is caused by a bacterial infection, most commonly by staphylococcus bacteria. But, as you mentioned, you have skin oozing all over the body. That condition can be urticaria. For this furunculosis, I am suggesting you medicine for five days.

1. Tablet Amoxicillin 500 mg twice a day for five days.
  2. Tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once a day for five days.

And rest, you can apply the steroidal cream you have.

• Can you please tell me does it involves the inside of the ear?
  • Do you still have rashes on the body?

Please answer.

Thanks for your reply.

The rash does not affect the inside of my ear. All of the symptoms are there only externally. The ear rash would happen every couple of weeks and then flare down after getting the Cortisol shot. The doctor I have seen for this has prescribed me 500 mg Cefalexin once a day for ten days for infection and 25 mg Hydroxyzine once every six hours for the rash. I came to you because the rash has reappeared three times already after receiving treatment for it. The spots on my body have only appeared when the rash on my ear starts oozing. Could, please send an official prescription for the Amoxicillin and Cetirizine?

#

Amoxicillin and other medications you will get over the counter. It is happening due to the reoccurrence of infection. So you have to take proper treatment for a weak at least. Hopefully, you will get rid of it. After one week, we will go for further treatment if it does not heal.

|