Q. I am 5 feet tall with underweight 40 kg. How can I gain weight?

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Mar 15, 2018

I am a 23-year-old male and am just 5 feet tall with underweight (40 kg) and till now I did not consult any doctor. So, kindly assist me to gain weight.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

To gain weight in a healthy way, you need to build muscle; I advise you to indulge in regular physical activity and a healthy diet pattern.

For a healthy diet, do not start eating oily food or junk food to gain weight, because that would only lead to a gain in fat and lead to health problems, like high cholesterol and heart disease. For a healthy diet, increase the intake of protein in the form of sprouts, nuts, egg white and lean meats like fish and chicken. Follow up your workouts by drinking a whey protein supplement within 10 minutes of completing your workout. Instead of three major meals in a day, divide it into small meals every two hours. That makes it 8 to 12 small meals in a day.

For physical exercise, do 10 minutes cardio followed by strength training. Start off by lifting lighter weights. Listen to your body, and when it allows you, slowly move on to heavier weights. You can hire a qualified trainer to help you get results faster, and also guide you to do your exercises correctly. Improper posture and breathing pattern during exercise can lead to injury. Before you start any exercise program, visit a doctor for a proper physical examination, to understand if the exercise suits you and to prevent injury. A good eight-hour sleep and eating meals right on time are very important.

Having said this, I would like to say that everybody is born beautiful, inside and out. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

For more information consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

How to gain weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am very thin. I want to gain more mass and weight. For that I am consuming multivitamin tablets and protein powder, but no use. I have a doubt that whatever I am taking is not 100% digesting to supply that energy to my body? What do I do?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can definitely gain weight. If you think you are not getting 100% of what you are eating, it could be probably due to worm infestation in intestine. For that you can take tablet Ivoral Forte (combination of Ivermectin and Albendazole) once after dinner. To gain weight...  Read Full

I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. Give me a diet suggestion

Query: Hello doctor, I have a very lean body build. I want to increase my muscle mass. What should I do? Shall I take any medicine or any diet suggestions? Age 23,¬†male, weight 59kg, height - 179cm.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You must take a high protein diet. And to aid better protein absorption, include acidic foods like lemon, orange, etc., in your diet. I am mentioning here a sample protein rich diet. You may modify the same as per your taste. Breakfast: 4 boiled/scrambled/...  Read Full

Ask a Nutritionist Now