Q. I started to lose weight after stopping the intake of protein powder. Please help.

Dr. Vinod Kumar

I had some weight gaining powder for gaining weight. After I stopped consuming those powders I started losing weight. Kindly suggest on how to maintain my weight.

#

You need to understand a few basic points regarding weight gain or weight loss.

1) Weight gain or weight loss is actually a result of fine balance between calorie intake and calorie consumption. So, if calorie intake is more than your daily needs then you will gain weight and vice versa.

2) Calorie intake should be adjusted according to your requirements which depend upon your daily routine, physical and mental activity level, and also on your physique.

3) The requirement of calories also changes with associated ailments.

4) This all is in accordance with Ayurveda principal of samanya-visesha which in simple language means similar things when added will result in an increase of that particular thing.

5) Protein diet is especially associated with an increase in muscle mass and hence faster increase in weight.

6) Please try to understand what actually that powder is. You have not mentioned the name of the powder. But the most important thing to be taken care of is that sometimes these powders may contain steroids and result in an increase in weight immediately. These are definitely to be avoided because of associated side effects.

7) Generally, these powders are protein powders. And if we talk in terms of Ayurveda, this preparations of Aswagandha, or Satavari, etc., and are good and safe to use.

8) Besides you need to rule out the possibility of any other ailment which can be resulting in weight loss. If that is the scenario, no treatment will give you benefit, unless and until you treat that particular disorder.

|