Q. Please suggest some food to gain weight.

Dr. Swapan Banerjee
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

I am a 23 year old male. My height is 5'11" and weight is 58.5 kg. I would like to gain body weight. I am have a problem of pimples with pus on face for the past four years. I had never taken any artificial mass gainer or protein. I am a pure vegetarian. My lipid profile result is as follows: Total cholesterol 93 mg%, triglycerides 46 mg%, HDL direct 33 mg%, LDL direct 60 mg% and VLDL (calculated) 9 mg%. My thyroid test report showed T3 106 mg/dL, T4 7.2 ug/dL and TSH 1.25 uL/mL. Please suggest something to gain weight and to increase my appetite. Thank you.

#

I understand your concern.

• I can advise you to take more fiber rich foods so that bowels stay clear without any constipation.
  • Plenty of vegetables like gourds and more of mix vegetables. Two to four types of fruits mainly banana, guava and berries. You have oily skin so avoid, fast foods, junk, fried and outside street foods.
  • Simple home made meals are better for digestion. As you are slim you must add high quality protein foods like soya, pulses, dairy foods, curd, pudding, chick pea and sprouts.

For further information consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

| 

Will taking protein powder in high quantities affect kidneys?

Query: Hi doctor, I heard that a high intake of protein powder will affect kidney functions (by forming kidney stones). Is it true?  Read Full »

Why do I get the feeling of emptying my bowel whenever I go out?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. My weight is 63 kg. I have masturbation habit for 6 years. My stomach gets bloated and there is gas formation. I also have tiredness and diarrhea. I have to apply pressure for passing urine and stools. I get the feeling of emptying my bowel whenever I got to go out ...  Read Full »

My wife could notice blood in her stools.Could you please advise us with proper guidance?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife (age 33 years) has been suffering from piles related issues since last 10 years. It occurred after her delivery (in 2003) and was harmless at that time. We are having an eleven year old daughter. Recently she started experiencing pain and itching while going to toilet. Also sh...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Nutritionist Now