Q. What can be done to treat high WBC and RBC with bile sludge?

Published on Feb 21, 2019

My blood work is showing high WBC and RBC. WBC is 11.3 (normal should be 11), and RBC is 5.14 (normal should be 5.0). Neutrophils are 7.6 (normal should be 7.5). Erythrocytes are at 2 not showing the normal number it should be at. However, it is flagged as high. My alkaline phosphatase is at 121 (normal should be 120), and alanine aminotransferase is showing at 75 (normal should be at 36). I also had an ultrasound done and showing 3.5 cm of bile sludge. Would these results indicate to you that I require gall bladder surgery? I do have pain under my right side rib cage into my right side upper back- tolerant pain. So my surgeon said to think about gall bladder surgery. Do my blood results and sludge showing in ultrasound reflect that I should have this surgery?

#

The concept of when to get the surgery depends upon how much pain you have, how bad is the underlying disease and how long you have the inflammation. Given the history of pain, a slightly elevated white count, abnormal liver function test and biliary sludge. It would be a good idea to consider laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. The timing of the surgery whether to do it during an acute attack of pain or as an elective procedure depends upon the surgeon you are seeing.

Are the Increase in WBC Count can be due to Neurontin?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband, who is 49, had blood work done. It shows a WBC count of 40,000, which has been checked twice now. His doctor wants to send him to see a specialist. He has had no recent infections. There is no change in his appetite and no weight loss. He feels fine. He has been on Neurontin...  Read Full »

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full »

I have increased white cells, proteins, leucocytes and epithelial cells in my urine. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is 48 years old, and her weight is 65 kilograms. She has RBC of 5.6 mcL, Hb of 15.3 g/dL, and creatinine of 0.9 mg/dL. The urine report shows white cells of 60 to 80 WBCs per high power field. There are traces of proteins, leucocytes, and epithelial cells also.  Read Full »