Q. Why do I have pain in shoulders, back and chest even after two weeks of gallbladder surgery?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 29, 2020

Hello doctor.

I had gallbladder surgery before two weeks. Why would I still have pain? I was told I could eat a normal diet but I have pain in shoulders, back, and chest and burning sensation in chest and shoulders. Is this gastritis after surgery?

I am currently on Pantoprazole, Famotidine, Cetirizine, Flonase and Tylenol.

#

Well, yes, gastritis can occur post-surgery. Two factors one is peri-operative stress leading to excessive acid production, secondly the bile can reflux back into the stomach (however rare) due to the removal of gallbladder.

You have been using Pantoprazole which is a good acid suppressant medication. You should start using bile salt sequestrates to help with the bile related gastritis if that is also in to play. Take Cholestyramine sachet 4 gm daily two hours before or four hours after meals for two weeks.

The pain after surgery is likely due to muscle spasm due to anesthetic side effects, and secondary to spasm of common bile duct muscles due to clips after removal of gallbladder. This should settle in some time.

Meanwhile, you can take tablet Tizanidine 2 mg once daily. Let me know how you feel in the next two to three days, if symptoms still persist, we will modify the treatment accordingly.

|