Q. Does one need treatment for gap in front teeth?

Answered by Dr. Nivedita Dalmia and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Gap In Front Teeth or Midline Diastema? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have a gap in front teeth may be it is diastema. Teeth are not fully separated apart starting from gum line like typical diastema. They have only slight gap below the gum line, may be less than an mm. I want to know:

1. Whether this gap between the teeth require any kind of treatment other than for cosmetic purpose?
  2. In future, does this gap harm or shift adjacent teeth? I mean does this gap affect the functionality of front teeth as well as adjacent teeth?
  3. What areits causes and is there any exercise to close this gap like pressing the teeth together for 10 to 15 seconds. If I do that exercise, does it affect the functionality of teeth in a negativeway?

In short, I want to ask whether one needs treatment for diastema if it is not showing any symptom or not affecting day to day life. I recently went for a regular dental checkup and the doctor told everything is fine no gum or any other disease. To the best of my knowledge, I do not have any tongue thrusting habit at present or thumb sucking habit in childhood. I am attaching the X-ray of the front teeth as well the real image of my front teeth.