Q. Does one need treatment for gap in front teeth?

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia
Published on May 05, 2018

I have a gap in front teeth may be it is diastema. Teeth are not fully separated apart starting from gum line like typical diastema. They have only slight gap below the gum line, may be less than an mm. I want to know:

1. Whether this gap between the teeth require any kind of treatment other than for cosmetic purpose?
  2. In future, does this gap harm or shift adjacent teeth? I mean does this gap affect the functionality of front teeth as well as adjacent teeth?
  3. What areits causes and is there any exercise to close this gap like pressing the teeth together for 10 to 15 seconds. If I do that exercise, does it affect the functionality of teeth in a negativeway?

In short, I want to ask whether one needs treatment for diastema if it is not showing any symptom or not affecting day to day life. I recently went for a regular dental checkup and the doctor told everything is fine no gum or any other disease. To the best of my knowledge, I do not have any tongue thrusting habit at present or thumb sucking habit in childhood. I am attaching the X-ray of the front teeth as well the real image of my front teeth.

#

The treatment is required for an esthetic purpose only. Radiographs look fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity) to me.

Along the years, the gap might increase due to a shift of the two teeth leading to an increase in the gap. There is no exercise to close the gap. Please do not press the teeth to close the gap.

If you are worried about your looks, then go for veneer, ceramic crown, or orthodontic braces. If you are fine with it, then you do not require any treatment. Just relax.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Thank you so much. Actually, in upcoming one or two years, I might have to appear before a medical board for medical examination. So, that is why I was little worried. So, in future, if gap increases then at that point of time also, I need treatment for an esthetic purpose only and not for any dental disease?

#

Yes, for esthetic purpose only.

| 

What is the treatment for midline space between upper front teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, My upper and lower jaw teeth are misaligned. There is 8mm of midline space in the upper front teeth. What will be the probable treatment for this?  Read Full »

Are full dentures the best option for gum disease and unsightly gaps?

Query: Hello doctor, I lost a tooth 20 years ago and now have severe gum disease and unsightly gaps where my other teeth have parted. Are full dentures the best option?  Read Full »

How to fix the gap between the front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I was looking into veneers and invisalign to fix the gap between my front teeth. I am not sure what would fix them. So, I am looking for some initial advice. I have attached a picture for you to view. Thank you.  Read Full »