Q. Please suggest a good diet for my 2. 6 years old son to keep his gut healthy.

Dr. Sanchari Majumder
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 24, 2021

My son is 2 year 6 months old. He is suffering from gas most of the day. He passes gas in the form of wind. We give him Neopeptine syrup, but it works for 12 hours to one day. This has become a regular phenomenon now. We give him only home made food. Please suggest a good diet to avoid this and make his gut healthy.

#

• You should get a proper diagnosis for your son. If your son has lactose intolerance problem, then omit milk in his diet. Also, avoid packet milk if he already in it.
  • Do not use spice in cooking and light preparation is favorable for him. Avoid fast foods, green leafy vegetables and salad.
  • Please, make him drink more water. Also, give him sugar salt solution for three days in a week.

The diet chart is as follows.

• Breakfast: Sago porridge or flaked rice with curd (small amount) or only sago.
  • Midmorning: Oral rehydration salt solution or salt sugar solutions, two teaspoon and fruits either banana or pineapple juice or papaya or stewed apple.
  • Lunch: Smashed rice, dal water and fish.
  • Evening: Vegetable stew or chicken stew or semolina.
  • Dinner (as early as possible): Smashed rice with fish or very tender vegetable curry.

For further doubts consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

He takes milk along with other food. I want to know whether pomegranate is safe for my child. He takes regular honey with basil leaf juice in the early morning in empty stomach. Honey is collected locally. Are honey and basil safe or harmful to my son's health? What should be the interval between each meal? Please explain in detail.

#

• Yes, pomegranate is safe for your child.
  • Yes, honey and basil are safe for your child, but it is better to take on an alternate day.
  • The correct time of meal is as follows. Breakfast - 8.30 AM, mid-morning - 10.30 AM, Lunch - 12.30 PM to 1 PM, evening snacks - around 4.30 PM to 5 PM and dinner - 8 to 8.30 PM.

|