Q. What are the ways to control farting at night?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Gas Formation or Acid Reflux? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

M.B.B.S., M.D. MEDICINE
Critical Care Physician, Diabetology, General Medicine, Internal Medicine, Medical Gastroenterology,

Please provide me details of your symptoms. Exactly what symptoms you have and since how long?

Since many years I have been facing these kinds of problems. Whatever I eat whether be it homemade food or fast food, at the end of the day that is at night I get farting problems and also early in the morning till I do not get to poop. Sometimes even when I do not get poop, the whole day I feel bloated and gassy. It has become a lot of embarrassment for me nowadays.

M.B.B.S., M.D. MEDICINE

It seems you are suffering from acid peptic disease or acid reflux disease. If you have any hunger pains, any fullness of stomach or gaseous distension of the abdomen after taking meals, you should go for:

1. Upper GI endoscopy to rule out peptic ulcers.

2. Ultrasound abdomen to rule out gall bladder stones.

I would advise you to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone and to take anti-flatulent and anti-acidity syrup like Digene or Gelusil for symptomatic relief. Do not consume any alcohol, or smoking in case you do.

Suffering from acid reflux and bloating for the third time in a year. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I have had severe acid reflux and stomach bloating three times in the past 12 months. It started suddenly each time. There is no prior symptom. This is the third time and it has been going on for a month. During the first time, I treated myself with antacids (Calc...  Read Full »
Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You described two different entities here. If you have indigestion due to any reason, then you may have bloating, burping, heaviness of abdomen and early satiety. This occurs due to less enzymes available from the stomach, gall bladder and, pancreas for digestion due t...  Read Full »

I have too much gas in the stomach and fart uncontrollably. Please suggest a cure.
Query: Hello doctor,I am a 31 year old male. I have too much gas in the stomach despite drinking plenty of water, nearly four to five liters a day. I fart too much. I feel embarrassed and cannot control it. I am not taking any medications currently.  Read Full »
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. The excess gas formation is generally because of problems with the gut bacteria and the consumption of spicy food can aggravate it. I would suggest you avoid spicy food. Start Rifaximin 200 mg twice daily which is a nonabsorbable antibiotic a...  Read Full »

Which formula milk shall I opt for my baby?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 5 months old. Since I had less milk, she was formula fed. But, she developed a gas problem. We keep on switching the brand of formula milk, but it did not suit her. Her doctor advised Colicaid, but she still has issues. Can you please advise which formula milk is good for ...  Read Full »
Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The problem is not with the formula milk and it is with the way you feed the formula. Generally, gas formation is more if the baby is on bottle feed and somewhat little when baby is breastfed. The problem of gas formation is a common thing as babies tend to take in air...  Read Full »

What is the cause for scoliosis and leg trembling?
Why does puberphonia occur?
Effects of Sleep on Your Health

Also Read Answers From