Q. My stomach is swollen, and it pains when I stand and sit. What is the cause?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 06, 2020

I am a 35-year-old male with a weight of 90 kg and a height of 5.10 feet. I have an issue with swelling in the stomach for the past two days and have pain on the sides. I am not able to breathe smoothly. I also get pain while pressing it so that I cannot stand and sit properly. I currently take Nexpro Fast 40.

#

Well, it seems to be due to gastritis. Given your weight and use of Nexpro (Esomeprazole), a proton pump inhibitor tends to cause bacterial overgrowth in the small bowel and gaseous symptoms.

You can try,

Tablet Itopride SR 150 mg half an hour before meals. And try to reduce weight.

Secondarily,

• How long have you been using this Nexpro?
  • Do you have chest burning or acid brash in the mouth?
  • Do you have this pain before as well? And if yes, for how long?
  • Do you feel relieved in this pain immediately after Nexpro?

This above information would help me establish whether it is ulcer disease in the stomach or gastroesophageal reflux disease GERD. And use the above medication for two weeks and follow-up. If you have any concerns now, you can ask me.

The management is a bit different between both. However, weight loss would help you in both these conditions.

Best regards.

| 

Can erythematous gastritis progress to stomach cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, Four months back, I had issues of stomach bloating and frequent bowel movement. My DP did an endoscopy and found out the I had erythematous gastritis. He had prescribed medicine for one month. The issue of stomach bloating and frequent bowel movement issue got resolved. But now and then ...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution for GERD and rumbling stomach.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 33 years old. From the last few days, I am suffering from GERD. I feel something is stuck in my throat and even if I take water this feeling never goes. Also, I feel a loud sound in my stomach before and after lunch and formations of gas. I took Reblet D, Eristozyme tables and Su...  Read Full »

How long do I want to take medicine for acute gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with acute gastritis a few weeks ago. There was no pain while taking the pills but now they are over, the pain has started again. The doctors said that I do not need to be on them anymore. Is it possible that the pain is related to gastritis?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»