Q. I have recurring upper abdominal pain soon after a drink or meal. Please suggest a remedy.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf

I have acute recurring pain in my upper abdomen on and off every minute. Not only spicy food, but even coconut water is also irritating my stomach, causing severe pain, which is unbearable. Please help.

#

Since when do you have this pain? Is it radiating to the back? Do you have any associated fever or vomiting? Any disturbance in stools? Kindly reply to me with answers to these questions. Then, I will give you a management plan.

Thanks for the reply.

I am having this for the last three weeks. It is just in the upper abdomen, and at times it shifts to the middle of my stomach. No fever or vomiting. No disturbance in digestion or stool. I have used a course of Meftal Spas and Gerdrid (Rabeprazole and Domperidone) along with Sucrafil syrup for 15 days. There was a temporary relief, but it started again soon after stopping those. I have a stressful job, and on a stressful day, this pain is too much. Please suggest what has to be done.

#

Thank you so much for getting back in detail. It looks to be gastritis aggravated by stress. Kindly do the following tests,

1. Stool test for Helicobacter pylori antigen.

2. Ultrasound of upper abdomen.

Get back to me in case of any further query. Thank you.

Gastritis.

One capsule of Dexlansoprazole 60 mg before breakfast for four weeks.
Syrup Dijex MP (antacids) two teaspoons thrice daily after food.
Tablet Propranolol 10 mg morning and night after food.

1. Avoid stress.

2. Avoid late time meals.

3. Avoid late time tea, coffee, and carbonated drinks.

After two weeks.

|