Q. Was my vomit red because of the red wine I drank?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have a question. I went to a friend's house last night and drank too much wine. I actually did not feel drunk but woke up middle of the night not feeling well, and this morning I threw up twice. My last glass of wine was red, and it often will give me a headache (which I have). My previous throw up was dark red, which tasted like and looked like the red wine. I took a picture, but I am too concerned about the color. Can it be from wine? I had normal stools a few times.

#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from vomiting, and your color of vomit is red like wine. You had a history of drinking red wine last night.

Some people can become sick after drinking a few glasses of wine. Red wine contains histamines, Sulfites, and a protein known as LTP (lipid transfer protein), found in grape skin. The protein gives red wine its color. It can also induce allergic responses like flushing, itching, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Again allergens like histamines can also produce such reactions.

Inflammation of the stomach lining is known as gastritis. Alcohol consumption is a common cause. Alcohol, like wine, can irritate your stomach lining. Gastritis can cause vomiting mixed with blood or undigested food particles like wine with abdominal pain and diarrhea.

I hope I have answered your questions. in case of any other query, ask me.

Thank you for your reply.

So what do I need to do? Do I need to go to the doctor?

#

Thanks for joining us again.

Do not be worried at all. Stay calm and quiet. You can take antiemetics to prevent vomiting. You can also take Domperidone and Lansoprazole to relieve from gastritis. Wait for 30 minutes after the last vomiting and then the medications and drink sips of drinking water with ORS(oral rehydration salt) to rehydrate. Eat small bites of foods like toast, crackers, etc. Take plenty of rest.

Wine induced symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, headache, etc. It usually lasts for 24 hours. But in case of vomiting continuously for more than 24 hours, your body cannot keep fluids and foods. The presence of the sign of dehydration like dark urine, production of less amount of urine, dizziness, severe weakness, breathing difficulties, raised body temperature above 101.5°F, presence of blood in vomit or stool, etc. You should seek immediate medical attention and help. Otherwise, home treatment is enough.

If any other query, knock me, and I will try to reply to you further.

| 

Does vomiting sensation after unprotected intercourse mean pregnancy?

Query: Hi, I had unprotected intercourse with my partner a month back. I did not ejaculate inside her. Later to be sure, she did a home pregnancy test after 21 days, it came negative. Since yesterday, she is having vomiting sensation, not able to eat anything, light stomach cramps and light fever. She did ...  Read Full »

Can erythematous gastritis progress to stomach cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, Four months back, I had issues of stomach bloating and frequent bowel movement. My DP did an endoscopy and found out the I had erythematous gastritis. He had prescribed medicine for one month. The issue of stomach bloating and frequent bowel movement issue got resolved. But now and then ...  Read Full »

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»