Q. I am allergic to Ornidazole. Can I take Imodium for loose motions?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

I am suffering from loose motions for the last one month. I have to go about three to four times a day and every time it is semisolid, with some liquids, and leave me in itching or burning in the anus. Initially, doctor gave me Zifi-O due to which I got balanitis. So, on the third day I just stopped taking Zifi-O. Stool test is clear, resistance sensitivity showed Oflox 24 and Azithromycin 20. So, my local doctor told me to take one tablet of Azithromycin for three days. Today, it is the third day and I have not seen any improvement. Today only I started taking Enteroquinol. I am allergic to Ofloxacin and Ornidazaole, it gives me balanitis. For curing balanitis, skin specialist gave me Zocon 100 DT. I am attaching all my reports for your reference. Please guide.

#

• I suggest you to take the following:
  1. Take plenty of fluids and oral rehydration salt sachets (ORS).
  2. Take Multivitamins course once a day and Probiotics twice a day.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am trying to follow your instruction, but my question is, can I take Enteroquinol or Imodium? As I took one Enteroquinol day before yesterday and yesterday I had good motion. But today, I am again getting sort of semi-solid motions. For your information, kindly consider that skin specialist told me not to take any medicine of Ofloxacin or Ornidazole, as it will give me balanitis. Please suggest Enteroquinol, Imodium or Lomofen or some other alternative. Thank you.

#

• Please understand Imodium (Loperamide) is a symptomatic medicine. It will reduce the loose stools. But, it will not stop the cause or cure the infection.
  • For the latter, you need Azithral (Azithromycin). As long as the infection persists, there is a chance of loose stool.
  • I will also suggest tablet Redotil (Racecadotril) instead of Imodium.

For further clarifications consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have already completed three days course of Azithral (one tablet a day) and it was completed day before yesterday. If you suggest Azithral then let me know the frequency and duration? Let me know how often can I take Redotil?

#

I have read your response.

• I would suggest Azithral for a total of five days. Twice a day for five days is usually a good dose. 
  • However, if you have interrupted the course of medicine, a total of seven days may be needed. Missing just one dose is not interruption of the course.
  • Along with it, probiotics are needed like Sporlac thrice a day for the course of antibiotic.
  • Redotil is a symptomatic treatment. You can take it when necessary up to three times a day.
  • Please do continue the course of multivitamins and plenty of fluids with ORS.
  • I would like you to upload the stool report if the antibiotic course of seven days is unable to stop the loose stools.
  • Addition of Metronidazole would be good, but since you are allergic to Ornidazole, I will not suggest it just yet.

Revert back with the investigations reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Azithral 500 twice a day? Or Azithral 250 twice a day? Please guide.

#

• I would suggest you to take Azithral 500 mg twice a day.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|