Q. I still have diarrhea though other symptoms of food poisoning stops. Why?

Dr. Juhi Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2020

I am a 23-year-old female. Last Friday I got food poisoning, at least I think it was that. It appeared within an hour of eating mushrooms and chicken with stomach aches. I got diarrhea, stomach aches, headaches, some fever with chills and sweats. Today the only symptoms I have left are diarrhea that is still rather liquid but in small quantity and stomach aches sometimes. Only I noticed today there was a yellow liquid on the toilet paper and it got me really worried. I have only been eating rice and a little bit of bread and drank plenty of water and tea. Today, I stopped drinking tap water just in case there was something in it, and I feel I had much less cramps in the stomach than yesterday. I do not have any other symptoms anymore, I feel rather fine, the liquid does not hurt (although I got some hemorrhoids because of diarrhea) but the color is scaring me and I have no idea what it is, what I should do about it and if everything is normal?

I am Antigone for more than two years. I took some Doliprane 1000 (Paracetamol) Friday night and Sunday night. I took a Spasfon today around noon.

Dr. Juhi Gupta

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

As per your description of symptoms, it is apparently food poisoning only. As fever has subsided, there does not seem to be much need for antibiotics. But diarrhea can be controlled by taking harmless lactobacillus supplements available over the counter. They work like probiotics. Improve healthy gut flora which aids better digestion and relieves diarrhea. Also, hydration is very important along with electrolytes replenishment. So do take ORS (oral rehydration solution) solution once or twice a day.

Contaminated food.

GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

Gastroenteritis.

Lactobacillus tablets twice a day before food.

Good hand hygiene to be maintained. Use boiled or distilled water for cooking. Eat home cooked meals only. Take care of hydration and electrolytes replenishment.

|