Q. I married my first cousin. Will my child be affected genetically?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I have married my first cousin, daughter of my maternal uncle. I would like to know, will there be any genetic issue with our future kid. What are the things we need to take care off? Do we need to take any test? Could you please give some guidance on this. Thank you.

#

• I understand your situation. Genetic disorders are more likely in such marriages.
  • I am not trying to scare you but if there is any familial disease in your family it would be good to get it checked in early pregnancy.
  • Any autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis, any cases of mental illnesses and case of Down's syndrome in the family can get pass on.
  • There are plenty of antenatal tests available to diagnose diseases while baby is in utero. But, these tests are numerous and very expensive. So, it is advisable to get specific tests done in relevance to you.
  • Since a proper answer to your question is only possible by a detailed history and examination of you and your wife, I suggest you to visit a good gynecologist in your area before you plan to conceive and also get the suggested tests done at the appropriate time. 

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

In our family, we do not have any such genetic diseases. But her maternal uncle who does not have any relation with me have some mental issues. Will this cause any impact in our case? We will surely meet a gynecologist before we plan for a kid.

#

• In your case, your child may get affected by a mental illness is same as that of anybody else.
  • There is no increased chance to your baby as there is only one person among  family members who had a problem.
  • Do not worry. All the very best. Hope everything goes wonderfully well for both of you.

|