Q. I have a lump on my right labia. Could it be herpes?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2022

It started with a burning pain during urination, which lasted two days with no other symptoms. The doctor said I had a UTI and advised me to drink plenty of fluids, which I did. Then two days after, there was a lump on my right labia. The painful urination has gone, but this lump on my right labia is still there, and it is very painful, more when I touch it. When I first had these symptoms, I was eight weeks pregnant and had a miscarriage last month. A nurse said that I have Genital Herpes. I am taking Carbimazole 5 mg daily for Graves disease and am currently on antiviral medications for potential Herpes. I have also undergone swab test tests, and I have not received the results yet. Urine tested positive for leucocytes and ph. Could it be something else? I have taken pictures.

#

First of all, there are no readily available blood tests for genital herpes, and most often, a clinical examination is enough to confirm it. This is a painful blister, and a possible cause is a genital herpes, with a previous history of urine infection for which you are taking treatment. There are some general guidelines regarding genital herpes that you need to follow:

1. It would help if you avoid excessive heat or sunlight, making the irritation worse.
  2. Do not use perfumed or antibacterial soaps, feminine deodorants, or douches.
  3. Try to wear loose-fitting cotton clothes.
  4. You can take some pain killer if required. If helpful, I suggest taking Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, and Nuprin).
  5. Use a cold cloth on the affected area if it soothes the pain.

There is no treatment for this if you do not report very early. Antiviral medications can help manage the severity and the duration if taken immediately before an outbreak when there is tingling or an unusual skin sensation, but no blisters within 24 hours of an outbreak. That is to be taken after consulting your doctor, but it is rarely needed or prescribed. Lastly, this is an STD (sexually transmitted disease), and thus, you need to get an STD profile screening to rule out other STDs as a cause. So, talk to your physician about it.

|