Q. Is there a chance to get genital herpes in patients already infected with oral herpes?

Dr. Jigisha H. Rakholiya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I was recently diagnosed with genital herpes. I am sure I got it from a person with type 1 (had regularly cold sores in the past and probably transferred it to me through oral sex). I was wondering, is there still a chance I might infect that person genetically? Or how high is the chance? We both have the same type of herpes, but my partner only experienced oral herpes before, and I have genital herpes.

Can someone who already had oral herpes develop genital herpes themselves? Or does herpes only occur at the place of infection? I want to know how high the risk is of me infecting my partner genetically (same type) when I am not showing any symptoms.

Dr. Jigisha H. Rakholiya

Genital herpes can be transmitted to your partner sexually because it is an STD (sexually transmitted disease), whereas herpes simplex (HSV-1) can be transferred from one person to another via infected oral secretions while in close contact. But at times, there is a possibility of getting genital ulcers when you are infected with HSV-1. Hence, I would advise you to undergo lab test to know if you are infected with the virus or not. And if you are positive for HSV, then you will require Acyclovir, which is an antiviral medicine. Till then, I would advise you to take preventive measures to avoid transmission to other partners. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact me.

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An unsafe sex increases the chance of contracting STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) as well as HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). As you mentioned that the status of your partners are mostly not known, so this puts you in risk of contracting STD or HIV if you get in...  Read Full

My son suspects to have genital herpes. Is it safe for my pregnant daughter to be near him?

Query: Hello doctor, My 26-year-old son suspects to have genital herpes. He had one outbreak of something in his genitals about six weeks ago but no other symptoms. He has not seen a doctor nor has he had any testing. He does not believe he has it. He is going to spend this weekend with his sister who is ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since there is no evidence of the infection, there is nothing to worry about. However, it is always better to get checked once and take necessary precautions. Just try to avoid sharing the toiletries in case you are suspicious about genital herpes. As the pregnancy is...  Read Full

How to treat genital herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently contracted genital herpes. I am having an outbreak, which scared me. I have blisters (vesicles) on the penis. I had a blood test done last week and this confirmed it. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly reviewed your health query and can well establish the sensitivity of issues you have. Thanks for uploading the labs here for reference (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, both HSV-1 and HSV-2 are positive. You also mentioned the lesio...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now