Q. Will sharing water bottle cause transmission of genital herpes?

Answered by Dr. Parth R Goswami and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M

Do you have a question on Genital Herpes or Influenza? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My cousin was diagnosed with genital herpes a few days back. She also has a sore throat currently that the doctor thought was strep throat but the strep test was negative. I shared a water bottle with her recently. Could I have contracted herpes from sharing the water bottle?