Q. I have a single wart in my penis for a long time. Is it HPV or STD?

Dr. Hari Pathave

I have a single wart in my penis for a couple of years. Can you check the photo to see if it is HPV or other STD? If it is not clear by photo, how can I know if I have HPV or not? If I have HPV, what ways can I get rid of it (surgery, creams, etc.)?

Can I have sex with a condom without any worry that it infect my partner? If I and my partner have HPV, can this be an issue having sex without recovering from it?

#

Thank you for providing information. Kindly hold on a minute, I am typing a detailed answer and explanation of your query.

I am waiting for you reply.

#

Thank you for providing photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, it is looking like a viral wart only. Other possibility is Achrocordon. You can go for RF removal or Podowart solution once a week application (both should be done by a dermatologist).

If it is not clear on photographs then you can do biopsy and histopathology to confirm and also serum IgM, IgG for HPV (human papillomavirus). Infection in some sites (armpits, neck warts) can spread the infection to other sites and to penis also. Sexual intercourse even with condom is not 100% protective but it can decrease the chances of transmission significantly.

It is better to avoid sexual intercourse when there is an active wart. If both partners have wart, there is an issue of transmission and during intercourse there can be trauma to wart which can cause bleeding or also secondary infection on the prior wart.

So, in both situations, avoid sexual intercourse as possible as but if it happens then condom must be used to avoid the spread of infection and also trauma to previous warts. Wart is a viral infection so wherever it is it has a capability to cause or to spread infection to other sites.

| 

Can the HPV vaccine be used to cure genital warts?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 50-year-old male. I had genital warts five years ago, had them removed via cauterization and received three injections of HPV vaccine Gardasil. The doctor said the vaccine would cure the virus, but after a year, warts reappeared and until now they are still in my scrotum, and th...  Read Full »

Is HPV type 73 virus transmitted only by sexual intercourse?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to know how the virus HPV type 73 is transmitted? I have heard that it can only be transmitted from sexual course but I want to be sure. My fiancee also has the virus.  Read Full »

How to prevent pregnancy other than using condoms and pills?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to get married in four months. We want to know whether there is any other way to avoid pregnancy other than using condoms or taking pills. I have seen somewhere on the internet that if we do intercourse for some particular period, then pregnancy can be avoided. Is it true? If ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Venereologist Now