Q. I have a single wart in my penis for a long time. Is it HPV or STD?

Dr. Hari Pathave

I have a single wart in my penis for a couple of years. Can you check the photo to see if it is HPV or other STD? If it is not clear by photo, how can I know if I have HPV or not? If I have HPV, what ways can I get rid of it (surgery, creams, etc.)?

Can I have sex with a condom without any worry that it infect my partner? If I and my partner have HPV, can this be an issue having sex without recovering from it?

Dr. Hari Pathave

Dermatology Venereology
#

Thank you for providing information. Kindly hold on a minute, I am typing a detailed answer and explanation of your query.

| 

I am waiting for you reply.

Dr. Hari Pathave

Dermatology Venereology
#

Thank you for providing photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, it is looking like a viral wart only. Other possibility is Achrocordon. You can go for RF removal or Podowart solution once a week application (both should be done by a dermatologist).

If it is not clear on photographs then you can do biopsy and histopathology to confirm and also serum IgM, IgG for HPV (human papillomavirus). Infection in some sites (armpits, neck warts) can spread the infection to other sites and to penis also. Sexual intercourse even with condom is not 100% protective but it can decrease the chances of transmission significantly.

It is better to avoid sexual intercourse when there is an active wart. If both partners have wart, there is an issue of transmission and during intercourse there can be trauma to wart which can cause bleeding or also secondary infection on the prior wart.

So, in both situations, avoid sexual intercourse as possible as but if it happens then condom must be used to avoid the spread of infection and also trauma to previous warts. Wart is a viral infection so wherever it is it has a capability to cause or to spread infection to other sites.

|