Gerd Symptoms

Are acid reflux and chest congestion symptoms of GERD or a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male, who weighs 240 lbs, and I am 5.10 feet tall. Tonight I had what I think was acid reflux or heartburn. I was not sure about it, as I have never had it. I felt like something is stuck in my throat, and also I felt a chest congestion when I tried to cough. I was...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your query. Let go of your anxiety. Gastroesophageal reflux disease is 80 % corrected by simple diet and lifestyle modifications. So, I would suggest you try the following. Lose your weight. If your BMI (body mass index) is 25 or above, you need to lo...  Read Full »

What causes chest pain that feels like needle poking?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old male. I have a constant pricking pain in my heart. I feel like a prick with the knitting needle and also like a spark or an electric current in my heart. It started this year and occurred very randomly. I have stomach cramps, and sometimes I feel like my esophagus has ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having a non-cardiac chest pain. The possible cause is due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). The acid reflux from the stomach is coming up into the esophagus causes irritation, which you feel like needle piercing in the chest wall....  Read Full »

I have a soapy and metallic taste in my mouth. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old woman. I am 5 feet 6 inches. I have bowel issues and constipation quite often. Lately, I feel very exhausted, have severe back aches, and a metallic and soapy taste in my mouth that will not go away. I am not sure what is going on.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your history and complaints, it seems you might have the following, depending on your additional complaints: Hemorrhoids, If you have accompanying constipation, mucus and sometimes blood in the stool, heartburn, and reflux. IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) i...  Read Full »

I often have a discomfort in my chest, but my ECG is always normal. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old man. Of late, I am feeling a discomfort on the left side of my chest since the last six to seven months. I visited a doctor who took an ECG which was normal. But again after a month or two, I started feeling the same. I used to get up early in the morning at 4 AM...  Read Full »

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your repeated tests relating to your cardiac problem are found to be normal as per your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So, it is highly unlikely to be a cardiac problem. I suggest you do an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy to rule out G...  Read Full »

Can cold and sinus problem aggravate my peptic ulcer symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed with peptic ulcer four months back, and I was put on Omeprazole. I took it for three and a half weeks, but then due to horrendous side effects and the need for an H.pylori test, I stopped taking it for around 10 days. The H.pylori test came back negative. I was th...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most likely, your symptoms are aggravated by the sinus infection. As H.pylori is negative and you are responding to Lansoprazole, I do not think an urgent endoscopy is required. I would suggest you switch over to Nexium (Esomeprazole), initially take it 40 mg twice dai...  Read Full »

I feel chest burns and abnormal heartbeat after smoking. Is it a heart disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a heavy drinker and also smoke seven to eight cigarettes a day. I started feeling chest discomfort from last 10 days like I feel chest burns, nausea, abnormal heartbeat, cold sweat after I smoke and today I felt like very uneasy so I had one Ecosprin 75 mg and now I feel a little be...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you should get one ECG done from the local doctor and you may upload here as well if you need it. Regarding your current symptoms, likely possibility is of gastritis and reflux disease. You should avoid fatty, oily and spicy diet. Have some walk after having f...  Read Full »

Why do I still have gastritis problem after a laparoscopic fundoplication?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old, who is 1.83 m tall and weigh about 70 kg. My health problems started two years back, when I had a lot of stomach pains, though they went away quickly once I had a filling meal. After an endoscopy, the doctor observed a large axial hernia as well as moderately pronou...  Read Full »

Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). You have undergone Nissen fundoplication, as such hiatus hernia and related diseases take a long time to recover and you need to maintain your lifestyle and food habits for a lifetime. I suggest you try doing t...  Read Full »

I wake up coughing at night and swallow water to relieve this. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I always wake up coughing during the night. And when I eat, I get discomfort like trapped wind in my esophagus and have to swallow water hard to relieve this. I tested negative for H. pylori and currently on Lansoprazole which is not improving my symptoms much.  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgeon, Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are most likely due to gastroesophageal reflux disease, that is, acid reflux from the stomach to the food pipe in the chest. This happens more in the night hours which results in cough and sleep disturbances. Occasionally, it can also result in bad taste e...  Read Full »

What medicines can be taken for chronic acid reflux?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old male. I have a problem with chronic acid reflux/GERD that often causes my throat pain as well. The problems are off and on i.e sometimes they are not much considerable but sometimes they are highly problematic. Additionally, I have sometimes noticed the problem of co...  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif M

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), you need to modify your diet well. Avoid reflux-promoting foods like excess coffee, spicy foods, fried foods etc. Practice short frequent feeds rather than full stomach feeds. Have a gap of at least an hour betw...  Read Full »

I have uneasiness below collarbone and feel spasm during breathing. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a-32-year old female. Recently, I am feeling a sort of uneasiness below the collarbone and quite in the middle of the upper portion of the chest. Initially, I thought it was a spasm but I have it for more than two weeks and feels little heavy deep inside. Kindly let me know the proble...  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most likely the cause of your symptoms is GERD that is gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. In simple terms, the acids from the stomach regurgitate to the esophagus. Before prescribing medicines I would like to know of any possible pregnancy and your last menstrual period...  Read Full »