Q. Can hair-in-throat sensation indicate cancer?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

For the last five months, I have had problems with my throat, left side. I have a hair-in-throat feeling that will not go away. I have been to two ENT already. The first one did not do any tests and just prescribed Penicillin, assuming strep. Later on I did develop an infection, which cleared out with Ceftriaxone.

The second ENT prescribed Azithromycin, Deflazacort and cleaning with baking soda. Felt a bit better, but feeling is still there. ENT said tissue was swollen, and true enough, I see a part unusually swollen, no pain though, just the annoying feeling. I am horribly terrified of the possibility of this being throat cancer, even if both ENT have ruled it out. Can you please check the pics and give me your opinion?

#

I do not know whether this satisfies you but there is nothing to suggest that you have any growth. It is either LPR, GERD, chronic pharyngitis due to other causes that may be causing these symptoms. At times it can just be globus pharyngeus.

I did forget to mention I have suffered from GERD in the past and take Lansoprazole for it. So, any recommendations to lessen the annoying feeling? Here are a couple of additional images form right now.

#

Foreign body sensations in the throat can be difficult because there is no pharmacotherapy that can completely relieve it unless combined with lifestyle and dietary modifications. Avoid smoking, drinking too much and caffeine. Resist the urge to clear throat too often try to drink when there is an urge to clear throat. Avoid eating too fast. Chew properly. You can try PPI (proton pump inhibitors), Prokinekinetic combinations and Alginate preparations if you have reflux symptoms. Drink plenty of fluids. And most important of all be assured there is nothing sinister there. Cut down on your apprehensions of harboring a malignancy. Your throat is fine.

|