Q. Can throat irritation and burning sensation in the chest be due to acid reflux?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have had throat irritation for 8 to 10 days. My throat is also a little bit reddish. But same time, my chest is also burning. So I consulted the doctor he gave me antibiotics and Pantosec D SR (Domperidone 30mg and Pantoprazole 40 mg). But still, throat burning is there. So I want to know whether it is an infection or due to acid reflux.

#

The most common reason for having these symptoms can be a feature of chronic silent Gerd with LPR (gastroesophageal reflux with laryngopharyngeal reflux).

Even though you might be asymptomatic or never have gastric issues in between, the inflammation in the throat often exists in the hidden form and can resurface when adequate care is not taken.

Why does hidden acid reflux become so problematic?

As you know, the stomach usually has got cells that release hydrochloric acid and thus keep the gastric environment acidic in nature.

Your entire mucosal lining from the mouth, throat and food pipe (esophagus) is not meant to handle anything acidic. Of the three structures, the throat is the most sensitive due to its rich nerve supply. If in a given situation, your mouth, throat, or food pipe chronically comes in contact with acidic contents, an inflammation starts which the body initially takes care of, but once this compensation wears out, you start developing symptoms that you have mentioned.

Please try to follow the. The advises are mentioned below,

1. Maintain a strict diet, eating on time.

2. Avoid spicy, oily, and cold food or drinks.

3. Keep a gap of 2 hours between meals and going to bed.

4. Do not overeat, rather keep your stomach half empty and have regular intermittent light food like fresh-cut fruits in between major meals.

5. Saltwater gargling 8 to 10 times a day for 15 days.

6. Avoid alcohol and smoking as it can potentiate reflux.

7. Try to maintain a left lateral position while sleeping to reduce the chance of reflux.

• Tablet Pantoprazole D 40 mg (or its equivalent) once in the morning before breakfast for one month.
  • Syrup Mucaine (Oxetacaine, Aluminium Hydroxide, and Milk Of Magnesia) gel (or its equivalent) 1 tablespoon three times a day 20 minutes before meals for one month.

Ensure you follow the precautionary measures as much as possible, as Mere medications will not fetch long-term relief.

Please understand that this typically takes 4 to 6 weeks for things to normalize and symptoms to subside. It chiefly depends on how much you have followed the precautions mentioned above, as 80 percent of the treatment lies there.

It would help if you worried about absolutely nothing as this is a treatable entity, and things will be fine.

I hope I have answered your query in detail. If there is anything more you need to know or enquire, please do let us know, and we will get back as soon as possible.

Warm regards.

|