Q. I am having abdominal pain above my belly button, which is like a cramp. Why?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am having abdominal pain for several weeks off and on. In addition, I have worsening acid reflux and chills. I am curious if there is blood in the stool since it is speckled what appears to be black. I am attaching the picture. Kindly give your opinion.

#

No, the stools look fine. There is no blood in it (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).

I want to know about your abdominal pain.

1) Where do you feel pain? Is it above the belly button or below the belly button?

2) Is it like a cramp or pinching or stabbing type of pain?

If I ask to score this pain on a scale of 0 to 10, how would you score it? 3) What is the severity? 0 being no pain and 10 being the unbearable type of pain.

4) Is there any change in bowel habits?

5) Are you on any medications?

6) Is there any illicit drug use?

7) Do you have any comorbid illness or recent history of being ill before starting these symptoms?

8) Is there any weight loss or loss of appetite?

9) Do you have any other abdominal symptoms like vomiting, nausea, abdominal distension, low hemoglobin, yellowish eyes?

10) Is there anything you feel is not normal?

Kindly answer the questions so that I can guide you accordingly.

The pain is above the belly button right side but also all over. It is crampy but can be sharp on a pain scale of around two to three. I have not had many bowel movements then suddenly had several back-to-backs, with that black-looking matter in the stool. No medication, though I am prescribed Protonix. I just forget to take it, honestly. I do not use illicit drugs. I have GERD, high cholesterol, and panic disorder. I did have an abdominal ultrasound recently that showed a mild enlarged liver 15.9cm. I have no appetite, and I am sweating at night, with no fever. I am slightly bloated, with no yellowing of my eyes, just feeling a general malaise from a week prior to this. The only other thing that has been abnormal was a week ago, I went to lunch, got very sweaty shakey, and almost lost consciousness. I also have no appetite. Kindly help me.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

Unconsciousness is strange. Were you able to check your sugar levels at that time and blood pressure? Have you had that event again?

The pain you describe seems likely a gas pain. It may be due to excessive gas production in response to some high carbohydrates meals or energy drinks. What are your weight and height, and body mass index (BMI)?

Kindly answer the questions for proper guidance.

I did not lose consciousness but felt very close to it. My blood pressure has been borderline high 134/82. I drink no caffeine of any kind. I am 6'2 and weighs 224 pounds. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Your weight seems fine, given your height. Your body mass index is 28, which is although bit above the normal. The ideal body mass index is 19 to 25.

I think you should get some testing to understand why you have that pain. that discomfort may be due to enlarged liver and fatty liver.

I suggest you get the following tests:

1) CBC (complete blood count).

2) Liver function tests.

3) TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

4) Urine detail report.

5) Stool detail report.

Please get back with the results for further help.

I had recent laboratory reports. I will attach them. Kindly guide me.

#

You can attach them will guide you accordingly.

I am also attaching my recent ultrasound. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Your ultrasound (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) is normal except for hepatomegaly, which means enlarged liver. The normal diameter of the liver is 11 to 14 cm. your liver is 15 cm. With the laboratory report which I suggested above, I would be able to determine whether you need a treatment for it or need an observation.

Your urine detail report is normal. So you should do the rest of the tests for further guidance. I hope this was helpful.

Liver function should be listed in those lab sets as thyroid. I apologize, I attached the same laboratory. I have re-attached lipase, amylase, and CBC. Kindly give your opinion.

#

LFTs (liver function test) and cholesterol profile seem normal. LDL (low-density lipoprotein), however, is slightly in the upper ranges. So you need not be treated for hepatomegaly. It is better if you can lose some weight. I hope this was helpful.

Yes, I have already lost 6 pounds and eliminated unhealthy fast food. I have elected to take Sunflower lecithin in place of a statin. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Avoid a high FODMAPS (fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols) diet since they are carbohydrates that make excessive gases and leads to cramps or pain. You can check on the internet for the FODMAP diet. I hope this was helpful.

I will get back if I have further doubts.

#

Keep losing some weight. This will help you. Please get back if you have further doubts. Take care.

|