Q. I have GERD and LPR which distubs my sleep with acid reaching esophagus. What to do?

Dr. Peter Grutas

My condition is GERD and LPR and I am so stressed out with this I cannot even sleep. I take Esomeprazole 40mg per day, but still no improvement. I sleep, but sometimes acid reaches my throat when I wake up. I am on this for one month and I feel every time. I take pills that they remain stuck in my throat like down the esophagus and I must drink a lot to push it down.

I am on diet with no spicy, no coffee, no alcohol and I have a list with acidic foods. I am scared about my esophagus to not be very damaged. This will destroy me for real. I am only 24. Should I double the dose? Should I change medicines? Now with the Coronavirus, I cannot find any doctor.

I do not feel heartburn, but I always hear my stomach making a weird sound when lying in bed. Please help.

Dr. Peter Grutas

#

I understand your concern and at this point, I would recommend further evaluation in order to better assess your condition. I would recommend a barium swallow x-ray, endoscopy, esophageal manometry, and 24-hour esophageal acid test. I would recommend you shift your Esomeprazole to Ranitidine 150 mg, twice a day for two weeks and Metoclopramide 10 mg, one tablet four times a day for five days. If symptoms persist, worsen or new onset of symptoms such as diarrhea, further consult is advised.

| 

Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been having some issues with my throat and esophagus. I have seen an ENT specialist and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my esophagus, but did not seem to say anything else other than it may be the acid reflux. But, the way I feel and a lot of the other symptoms that have...  Read Full »

Can lactose intolerance cause acid reflux?

Query: Hello doctor, I drink two pints milk a day with a protein shake but since then I have got acid reflux and cannot swallow without food getting stuck in my throat. Endoscopy was done last year which was normal. Is it intolerance to milk or lactose that is causing this? Also, is it safe to take Raniti...  Read Full »

I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Query: Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food. Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD. But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks ...  Read Full »