Q. Please suggest a weight gain diet for a GERD sufferer.

Dr. Subharanjini Ramesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2021

I have GERD and I need a weight gain diet.

#

Your BMI (body mass index) is 18 and it belongs to the underweight category. At this age, you have a difficulty in gaining weight. For having a detailed diet chart, you need to provide your food habits and mention whether you are vegetarian or non-vegetarian. Please mention whether you are taking any medication for your health problems. Kindly provide some detailed information for having a better understanding. I am suggesting some general advice for weight gain and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Take frequent small meals.

Take breakfast, lunch, and dinner with two intermittent snacks. For evening snacks, you can drink any protein supplements with milk and water. You need to include nuts daily as a snack in the morning hours. You have to eat all kinds of vegetables and fruits. Avoid taking citrus fruits while having a burning sensation. Limit taking junk foods, processed foods, bakery products, sodas, fried foods. You can take it in the early evening to avoid having heaviness. If the problem is severe, it is better to avoid it.

You can take milk sweets. Take organ meats once a week. Take chicken or fish thrice a week and take egg white daily. Always take non-vegetarian foods for lunch for having better digestion. High protein foods have to be taken in the morning for having better metabolism. Take channa and rajma in the morning. Do brisk walking for 45 minutes. It keeps you active and so you can eat more. Do not drink water at the starting of your meal. It reduces your food intake. You can maintain your weight by eating healthy nutritious foods.

|