Q. Please suggest an ayurvedic treatment for GERD.

Dr. Alka

I have GERD issue. Please suggest an ayurvedic cure.

Dr. Alka

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a common problem. It is mainly caused due to an unhealthy lifestyle and poor eating habits.

Follow the below-mentioned guidelines to avoid the problem:

1. Avoid spicy, oily, junk food, caffeinated drinks, tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onion, curd, chocolate, bakery products, fermented foods and any other food that is known to create a problem for you. If you cannot avoid them completely, avoid them as much as you can.
  2. Do not go to bed immediately after having food. Try to take your dinner at least two hours before bed.
  3. Keep the head end of your bed or mattress raised by 4 to 8 inches raised while sleeping.
  4. Avoid tight fitting clothes as they put pressure on the abdomen and will lead to a problem.
  5. Watch your weight as being overweight can increase GERD symptoms.
  6. Drink plenty of water and also include other liquids like coconut water.
  7. Chew your food slowly.
  8. Try to take five small meals instead of three big meals.
  9. Do not take stress and anxiety as they also increase your problem.
  10. Do Vajrasana after having food for five to seven minutes.
  11. Go for a walk every day for at least 30 to 60 minutes.
  12. If you are used to having tea, then preferably opt for a herbal tea like chamomile.
  13. Take a banana every day as it naturally acts as an antacid.
  14. Chew fennel seeds after having food along with some jaggery.
  15. You can chew a small stick of licorice too as it will help increase the protective mucous covering of the stomach.
  16. Chew a sugar-free chewing gum after food for half an hour as it will increase your salivary flow which is helpful in washing away the excessive acid.
  17. Always remember that hurry, worry and curry are the cause of a GERD problem.

Regarding medications: if you are already taking allopathic medicines, then do take these medicines along with that.

1. Kamdudha Ras, take one tablet twice a day with water 15 to 30 minutes before food for four weeks.
  2. Avipatikar Churan, 2 g with water after food for four weeks.
  3. Take Yashad Bhasam 125 mg twice a day with water after food for four weeks.
  4. Yashtimadhu Churan 1 g twice a day with water after food for four weeks.
  5. For emergency, you can take two teaspoons of Himcocid syrup with water or one or two Himcocid tablets. You can take this syrup or tablet whenever you feel sour water taste or acid in the stomach. You can take these three times a day.

Try these regularly, and you will soon feel positive results. Do consult me after four weeks regarding improvement.

For further queries consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

| 

Thanks for the reply. I am planning for a baby. Also, in spite of taking Sooktyn right now, I sometimes feel a discomfort around my chest and upper back. I also have a burning sensation on the fingers of my left-hand.

Dr. Alka

#

Tablet Sooktyn is good for acidity but it cannot cure the problem completely. Along with this tablet take the above-mentioned medicines.

• You can mix Avipatikar churan, Yashad bhasam, and Yashtimadhu and take them collectively after food. Try this treatment for four weeks and when you feel better, I will reduce the number of medicines.
  • As far as pregnancy is concerned, even if you and your husband are normal and have no health issues, trying to conceive naturally may take some time. If your age is below 30 then try for at least six months before you consult a specialist. If you have hormonal issues like a thyroid problem or any other issue, you need to take treatment for that first rather than trying to conceive. Also sperm of the male partner must be healthy so keep an eye on your husband's health.
  • Ovulation mostly occurs on the 14th day. So, always try between the 11th to 15th day of your period. This is the most fertile period. The day of your period is counted as day one. So, calculate accordingly. While trying to conceive you can take tablet Folic acid once a day on the advice of your gynecologist as it is helpful in the growth of the egg.

Go for walks every day as it increases the pelvic blood flow and helps you in conceiving. Take more of fresh fruits and vegetables. If you are over weight then try to reduce some weight as obesity creates a problem for conceiving as well.

Revert after four weeks to an ayurveda specialist online--> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

| 

Can you explain how I can take everything together? Can I have the proportion of each? Meanwhile, do these medicines affect the chances of a conception?

Dr. Alka

#

• Take half a teaspoon of Avipatikar churan, one-fourth teaspoon of Yashtimadhu churan and half a small spoon of Yashad bhasam. Then take them together.
  • These medicines do not affect pregnancy or conception in any way. Moreover, you are going to take these for four weeks only. So, do not worry.

For more information consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

| 

Can you please suggest the medicines in tablet form as I find syrups and churans difficult to take.

Dr. Alka

#

You can take these medicines:

1. Tablet Kamdudha Ras, two tablets twice a day with water 15 to 30 minutes before food for four weeks.
  2. Tablet Himcocid, two tablets twice a day after food for four weeks.
  3. Capsule Yashtimadhu, two capsules twice a day with water after food.
  4. Chitrakadi vati, two tablets twice a day with water after food for four weeks.

You have also asked about the burning sensation in the fingers. That might be due to pressure on the nerve of that area or excessive computer usage. Try to relax after work.

|