Q. I had diabetes during pregnancy but levels were normal later. Why is it high again now?

Dr. Gowrimeena
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2013 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2019

Four years ago, I had pregnancy diabetes. Once I delivered my baby, the blood sugar levels were normal. I used to check the blood sugar levels and they were normal all these years. But since nearly six months, my levels started rising again. Usually, my fasting levels are high now and they fall during the day. My levels are between 200 and 300. What should I do?

#

It is well known that diabetes during pregnancy is a forerunner for diabetes in later life. It is good that you checked your blood levels faithfully after your delivery and that is why you were able to identify the high levels. Having found out about these high levels, it is time for you to meet a physician or diabetologist to start treatment.

The target sugar level for fasting is 100 and for two hours after a meal is 140 mg/dL. Adhering to a strict diet and regular exercise may reverse diabetes completely in the early stages.

You have not mentioned your age or desire for future pregnancy. In either case, I can suggest accordingly.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|