Q. I had diabetes during pregnancy but levels were normal later. Why is it high again now?

Dr. Gowrimeena

Four years ago, I had pregnancy diabetes. Once I delivered my baby, the blood sugar levels were normal. I used to check the blood sugar levels and they were normal all these years. But since nearly six months, my levels started rising again. Usually, my fasting levels are high now and they fall during the day. My levels are between 200 and 300. What should I do?

Do you have a question on Gestational Diabetes or Diabetes During Pregnancy?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Gowrimeena

MBBS., MD OG., DNB OG., MRCOG
Obstetrics And Gynaecology

It is well known that diabetes during pregnancy is a forerunner for diabetes in later life. It is good that you checked your blood levels faithfully after your delivery and that is why you were able to identify the high levels. Having found out about these high levels, it is time for you to meet a physician or diabetologist to start treatment.

The target sugar level for fasting is 100 and for two hours after a meal is 140 mg/dL. Adhering to a strict diet and regular exercise may reverse diabetes completely in the early stages.

You have not mentioned your age or desire for future pregnancy. In either case, I can suggest accordingly.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Pregnancy and Birth
Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article »
Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna ...  Read Article »

Had gestational diabetes during pregnancy. How to control my sugar levels now?
Query: Hello doctor, I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy. I did not take any medications. I controlled it through diet. I delivered a boy baby. Three days after the delivery, my sugar levels were checked, and they were found to be normal. Yesterday, I checked again and found my fasting blood su...  Read Full »
Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can take seven to eight weeks for your sugar levels to become normal. Your fasting sugar is normal, but your postprandial is a little high. Do not take only rice in your diet. Try to take a complete food. This will not affect the baby's digestion. I suggest you cont...  Read Full »

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.
Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full »
Dr. Natalie Chaitan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An initially positive pregnancy test that later becomes negative can happen with very early miscarriages. Such miscarriages can occur with little or no initial blood loss. These are termed chemical pregnancies, as they are lost before they attach to the womb and before...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now