Q. Why does my gums feel tender and sensitive during my periods?

Dr. Bharat Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2022 and last reviewed on: May 07, 2022

My teeth have felt a bit tender for the last few days, and my gums are a bit swollen and red. Today the pain is more than usual. I suspect that my gums are inflamed, and I am experiencing tightness and pain on the right side of my mouth. The pain arises above my teeth, and there is some redness. I have also noticed that my teeth and gums become more sensitive during my menstrual cycle. I occasionally take medicines for this, but the condition is not very painful. I had a dental checkup two weeks ago. Can I share some pictures? Please help, doctor.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

Please do not worry. I think this swelling is due to hormonal fluctuations, which results in an inflammatory response. It increases vasodilation (widening of the blood vessels) and results in swelling and vague pain.

I suggest you to take the following measures for relief-

1. You must do warm saline rinses every six hourly for five days.

2. You must use Chlorhexidine mouthwash twice a day dissolved in water for one week.

Please answer my question-

Does bleeding or application of pressure relieve your pain? Because in that case, there may be a need for topical antibiotics.

Thank you, doctor, for your prompt reply,

I am on the last day of my period. Do you think the pain and redness will go away once the period is over? The gums do not bleed now, but they are just tender and painful. Is it normal that this pain spreads to the other teeth as well? I used Chlorhexamed 10 mg gel that I purchased from a pharmacy. If antibiotics are needed, which ones? Many thanks in advance.

#

I understand your concern.

Thank you for reverting to us. You will experience a marked improvement after completing periods, so there is no need for any antibiotics.

I suggest you to avoid using any gel, instead you can use a mouthwash.

Is this a sign that my gums are receding?

#

I understand your concern.

It is the starting of gum recession and clinically it is classified as a Miller class 1 recession.

I suggest you to modify your tooth brushing technique and massage your gums daily.

There is no need for any surgery right now.

Can gum recession cause pain at this stage? Which products can I use to minimize tooth sensitivity and improve gum health?

#

Mild sensitivity could be present.

I suggest you to brush your teeth using toothpaste for sensitive teeth twice daily for one month for immediate relief.

|