Q. There is a painful nodule between canine and premolar and I am on braces. What is that?

Dr. Bharat Joshi

I got braces last year as there were spaces between my teeth. For the last 10 days, I noticed a nodule coming out behind the braces between canine and premolar on the left side of the mandible. It is painful only while brushing when the bristles rub against it.

Before this, around 10th July (after my consultation with orthodontist for braces), I had slight swelling in the same region associated with pain. Now due to lockdown, I am unable to consult for my next appointment. It started as painful swelling and now appears as a nodule which is pale-colored. I just want to know if I should take this nodule seriously.

#

See, as per your details, it seems to be gingival polyp due to irritation from braces. But you are saying it is turning pale so it can be lipoma also. I request you to please send a good clinical picture and tell me some more details regarding the nodule to confirm my diagnosis. Please tell me about the consistency, bleeding, and pain now.

Gingival polyp (to be confirmed after picture and details).

Gingival polyp.

Maybe excision.

Two to three days as diagnosis is must and treatment will be accordingly.

It is painful while brushing my teeth. It is soft, but there is no bleeding.

#

Thank you very much for the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is nothing but gingival enlargement, which is response to orthodontic therapy. Do not worry. Let your orthodontic therapy be completed then, just by scaling and curettage, this enlargement will subside. No lipoma, no fibroma nothing serious but response to ortho treatment which is normal.

Ortho treatment.

gingival enlargement (inflammatory).

Scaling and curettage after completion of treatment.

Maintain oral hygiene. Do warm saline rinses Every six hourly for two weeks and practice brushing twice day. Rinse with water after every meal.

After completion or orthodontic treatment or if enlargement increases consistently. Until then maintain hygiene and do not worry.

| 

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full »

Good and Bad Regarding Orthodontic Treatment

Article Overview: Crooked teeth can be esthetically disturbing. Orthodontic treatment can make your smile beautiful. Read the article to know the pros and cons of this treatment. Read Article

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Orthodontist

An orthodontic treatment (wire braces) is a dental treatment done for a patient to get an aesthetic facial apperance while maintaining the intraoral gum health. Presently we are witnessing numerous patients who after completing the treatment complain of periodontitis (gum problem in which loosening ...  Read Article

My gums are itchy after using mouthwash. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My gums are itchy after eating. I used mouthwash. After using it, I usually rinse my mouth with water. I started to have a burning sensation in my gums after using mouthwash. But still, my gums are itchy.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthodontist Now