Glomerular Filtration Rate

Will Removal Of Kidney Stone Improve Gfr?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female. I have had a kidney stone in my right kidney for around eight months and now it is relatively large 22 mm. I have attached my report for your reference. I am suffering from recurrent kidney infections in the past couple years and had a stone in my left kidney wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Somani

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw all your reports and your clinical details (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your tendency for recurrent stone formation which needs to be evaluated. You need not to worry about eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate) currently as creatinin...  Read Full »

Why are my uric acid levels always high?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a bad throat, cold and mild fever. I am taking antibiotic Amoxycillin and Ibugesic plus. Can I get liver function test and kidney function test at this time or should I wait?  Read Full »

Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is advisable to get the liver and kidney function tests done after a week, as these drugs alter the test results. For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician  Read Full »

My doctor reduced my Lithium dosage due to the creatinine levels. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking Lithium XR 400 mg twice a day and Valprol CR 300 mg twice a day for the last 19 years. I am also taking Geminor M1 once a day since the last two years. My local doctor checks regularly for my creatinine level and lithium level. My last report of creatinine was 1.36...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. The normal range of lithium 12 hours after the last dose is 0.6 to 1.2. Your level is 0.48, which is already low. So, instead of decreasing the dose, you may need to increase it to maintain it at a therapeutic level. Consult your specialist ...  Read Full »

I have SLE. Kindly check my blood reports and explain if something is wrong.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 39-year-old female with lupus (SLE). I just recently had some bloodwork done and was curious about a couple things. I had several things that were high. My EOS was 5.5 %. CRP 2.6 mg/dl, vitamin B12 was 1678 pg/ml, creatinine was 1.06 mg/dl, AST was 57 and ALT was 65 u/l and last ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your serum creatinine is a slightly high, not much elevated. So, mild kidney involvement can be present because of lupus. Your urine eGFR (glomerular filtration rate) and protein estimation also should be done. Eosinophil can be high because of allergic inflammation ...  Read Full »

Do I have to fast before I go for GFR test?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female. For a year, I am advised to take one Sompraz D20 on an empty stomach in the morning, and one Libotryp tablet at bedtime for TB. As a part of routine check up, I want to get tested for kidney function, that is, GFR blood test. Is fasting required for this test? ...  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your concern regarding GFR (glomerular filtration rate). If no structural abnormality of kidneys is seen on imaging studies like ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder), then get serum creatinine, which is an approximate reflection of renal function...  Read Full »

What is the cause for increased albumin in blood?

Query: Hi doctor, My uncle has +3 albumin in his blood. He is not hypertensive and diabetic. What is the reason for the increase in albumin? What is the treatment? I have attached his reports.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have evaluated his report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and his urine test shows the presence of RBC (red blood cells) and protein in his urine. This is serious and requires attention. The most common causes are diabetes and hypertension, so they ...  Read Full »

Should I visit a doctor for my slightly low eGFR?

Query: Hi doctor, I do not have any real complaints. I just got my laboratory test results. They show BUN 29.1, creatinine 1.01, BUN/creatinine ratio 29 and eGFR 64. I do not have any bad symptoms other than some retention of fluid. I urinate a lot but I am on Triamterene 75/50 twice a day. I do drink...  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Somani

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know your age and how your heart functions. Do you have any recent 2D echo done? Regarding serum creatinine and BUN (blood urea nitrogen), they are normal. But, eGFR - estimated glomerular filtration rate is slightly low. That...  Read Full »