Q. What to expect from an allergy test?

Dr. J. N. Naidu

I came to know I am allergic to gluten after having multiple episodes of allergy signs like a red rash, itching, and swollen eyes every time I ate gluten. I would have had these at least thrice in the last six months. Then I decided to meet the physician who suspected it to be a food allergy, and I guess it is gluten because I have only had wheat buns before these episodes. Anyways allergy test is being scheduled this week. I want to know in prior what happens during the trial. Can you elaborate on what all tests will be undertaken and what will happen at that time?? I am strong and young (22 years) but still apprehensive about it.

#

Generally, it is diagnosed by a skin test where a drop of purified allergen is injected into the skin on your forearm, and the doctor checks for an allergic reaction after half an hour. Secondly, it can also be tested by a blood test. Antibodies are detected for gluten. You will be asked to maintain a food dairy

|