Gouty Arthritis

What are laboratory tests available to detect rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have painful swelling of the joints for the last three years. It started on my right hip, then right knee joint. Now I have a painful swollen right knee. I cannot sit, walk fast. My family doctor prescribed the tablet Indometacin and then referred me to an Orthopedic doctor. They belie...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohamad Ali Rida

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Seeing your weight, this might be early osteoarthritis. However, if there is swelling, we need to tap the knee and get the fluid. I suggest taking some laboratory tests to rule out rheumatoid arthritis-like ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein)...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for heel pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old. For the past few days, I am suffering from heel pain. When I get up, it pains a lot for the whole day. Please tell me whether it is dangerous. What to do?   Read Full »

Dr. Marianne Pia F. Almario

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please mention whether you got any trauma on your heel or anyone hurt you physically before the appearance of pain. Please mention the food taken by you before the appearance of pain. If there is no trauma on your heel, you can have gouty arthritis. It is a kind of ...  Read Full »

Do X-rays help in differentiating rheumatoid arthritis from osteoarthritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having joint pain in my left foot on the first joint of big toe for two weeks. It came on upon waking. The pain was inconvenient, but bearable for the first 36 hours. Then, it was extremely painful on the second day ( a worse pain I have ever had). Then, it has got slightly be...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a strong possibility that this is gout. Considering that it occurred relatively acute, it is possible that it is gout. The diagnosis of gout is by crystal examination in joint fluid and on clinical examination of joints. Of course, osteoarthritis is one of the le...  Read Full »

Is Colchicine recommended for gouty arthritis pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have gouty arthritis and currently, I am drinking Urinorm to lower my uric acid. I am not eating anything that may increase uric acid but I do eat fish and pork. Right now, I am experiencing a pain in my right foot and I was wondering if I can drink Colchicine. I bought it when I had ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you need to be sure that you are having pain due to an acute attack of gout or something else. Since you are already taking Urinorm, and if you have been regular in taking it, you should not have got the attack. In case you have been irregular in taking...  Read Full »

How is arthritis treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I am worried for my 63 years old elder sister who is almost bedridden now due to the following ailments. She has severe pain in the stomach (started two months ago), knee pain for four years and swollen legs for three years.¬†Doctors are of the opinion that she is suffering from severe ar...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think that she has rheumatoid arthritis (not just simple arthritis). It would be very helpful if you say which joints are involved. Is she stiff in the morning? How long it takes for the stiffness to go away? There are medications for this condition which are gentle ...  Read Full »

Why is Indomethacin not helping with my joint pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from chronic gouty arthritis. It started ten plus years ago, and now progressed to every joint in my body with multiple joint attacks at once. I have contant pain in joints, even if there is no attack. The attacks jump from joint to joint nonstop. I have seen many doctor...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history, and it is a bit unusual for a 40-year-old to have polyarticular gout, that is involving a lot of joints. Firstly, I would recommend you visit a Rheumatologist near you to sort it out. Meanwhile, first, we should rule out if it is gout ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to restart Prednisone?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with gout in left foot. It has been bothering me for a couple of weeks. Last month, I had issue with my elbow and took Prednisone. Recently, doctor said I cannot take Prednisone again so soon and was essentially screwed. Are there any other treatment options or drugs? How ...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no such restriction about restarting Prednisone. As long as there is a clinical need and we have exhausted other options then there is no contraindication to restart steroids. Surely, NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) should be tried be...  Read Full »

How to control my uric acid level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40 year old male. I have high uric acid for 20 years. Currently, I am taking Allopurinol 300 mg and Methylpred 4 mg. For the last 3 months, the uric acid level has been less than 5. I am confused why there are still some attacks?  Read Full »

Dr. Surbhi Agrawal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have been taking preventive gout medicine for a long time and have started to have flares for the first time in a while, call your doctor. He may talk to you about changing your dosage or your medicine. In addition to medication, these self-care tips may help...  Read Full »

Are joint and knee pain symptoms of gout?

Query: Hi doctor, Over the last few weeks, my wife is suffering from joint pain in foot and right knee. When I search for this problem online, I found it as a symptom of gout. Can you please explain me about gout?  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your query and also looked at the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Initially, I would like to throw some information about gout. It is a condition of altered purine metabolism in the body in which crystals of monosodium urate d...  Read Full »