Gouty Arthritis

A gout is a painful form of arthritis that occurs when the body has extra uric acid, resulting in the buildup of sharp crystals in the big toe or other joints. Gout attacks are painful and can happen suddenly, often overnight. The affected joints may have intense pain, redness, stiffness, swelling, warmth, or tenderness. Drugs like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), Colchicine, Corticosteroids, and the drugs that lower uric acid levels in the body, such as Allopurinol, Febuxostat, Pegloticase, and Probenecid help manage the symptoms.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Is it safe to restart Prednisone?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with gout in left foot. It has been bothering me for a couple of weeks. Last month, I had issue with my elbow and took Prednisone. Recently, doctor said I cannot take Prednisone again so soon and was essentially screwed. Are there any other treatment options or drugs? How ...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no such restriction about restarting Prednisone. As long as there is a clinical need and we have exhausted other options then there is no contraindication to restart steroids. Surely, NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) should be tried before pr...  Read Full »

Why is Indomethacin not helping with my joint pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from chronic gouty arthritis. It started ten plus years ago, and now progressed to every joint in my body with multiple joint attacks at once. I have contant pain in joints, even if there is no attack. The attacks jump from joint to joint nonstop. I have seen many doctor...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history, and it is a bit unusual for a 40-year-old to have polyarticular gout, that is involving a lot of joints. Firstly, I would recommend you visit a Rheumatologist near you to sort it out. Meanwhile, first, we should rule out if it is gout ...  Read Full »

I am worried about needing medications for increased urate levels. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, At my routine blood test, my urate level was tested and came back at 7.3. I do not have symptoms, but I am worried about needing medications. I do not eat a lot of meat or protein shakes. I have gained 35 kg in the last two years. Before this, the level was 5.3 two years ago, and three ye...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. The problem is not your uric acid, but it is your weight. Generally, medicines are not needed at uric acid of less than 9.5 mg/dL a patient has gouty arthritis. You need to stop or reduce non-vegetarian foods by 50 percent and reduce pulse...  Read Full »

Are joint and knee pain symptoms of gout?

Query: Hi doctor, Over the last few weeks, my wife is suffering from joint pain in foot and right knee. When I search for this problem online, I found it as a symptom of gout. Can you please explain me about gout?  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your query and also looked at the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Initially, I would like to throw some information about gout. It is a condition of altered purine metabolism in the body in which crystals of monosodium urate...  Read Full »

Do X-rays help in differentiating rheumatoid arthritis from osteoarthritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having joint pain in my left foot on the first joint of big toe for two weeks. It came on upon waking. The pain was inconvenient, but bearable for the first 36 hours. Then, it was extremely painful on the second day ( a worse pain I have ever had). Then, it has got slightly be...  Read Full »

Dr. Puri Divya Inder

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a strong possibility that this is gout. Considering that it occurred relatively acute, it is possible that it is gout. The diagnosis of gout is by crystal examination in joint fluid and on clinical examination of joints. Of course, osteoarthritis is one of t...  Read Full »

Are my uric acid levels high as mentioned in the lab reports?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask for some advice regarding a laboratory result recently. My uric acid is quite high based on the laboratory reports. Is it correct?  Read Full »

Dr. C. Elanchezhian

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your uric acid level is just increased (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Do you have any complaints? I would suggest you take grapefruit, oranges, pineapples, and strawberries. They are all great sources of vitamin C, which lowers your uric acid le...  Read Full »

I am a gout patient and have been suffering from instep swelling for a week. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 60-year-old male, and I am suffering from gout issues. Currently, I am taking tablet Allopurinol 300 mg daily. Year-old lab report of mine shows Uric Acid levels to be 5.6 mg.For a week, I have been suffering from swelling of the left foot instep. First, I took tablet Indomethacin 2...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since it is an acute gout flare, I would recommend a couple of changes (consult with a specialist doctor, talk with him or her and take medicines with their consent). 1. Temporarily stop taking tablet Allopurinol. Although recent guidelines say we can use it in acut...  Read Full »

What are laboratory tests available to detect rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have painful swelling of the joints for the last three years. It started on my right hip, then right knee joint. Now I have a painful swollen right knee. I cannot sit, walk fast. My family doctor prescribed the tablet Indometacin and then referred me to an Orthopedic doctor. They belie...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohamad Ali Rida

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Seeing your weight, this might be early osteoarthritis. However, if there is swelling, we need to tap the knee and get the fluid. I suggest taking some laboratory tests to rule out rheumatoid arthritis-like ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein)...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for heel pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old. For the past few days, I am suffering from heel pain. When I get up, it pains a lot for the whole day. Please tell me whether it is dangerous. What to do?   Read Full »

Dr. Marianne Pia F. Almario

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please mention whether you got any trauma on your heel or anyone hurt you physically before the appearance of pain. Please mention the food taken by you before the appearance of pain. If there is no trauma on your heel, you can have gouty arthritis. It is a kind of ...  Read Full »

Is Colchicine recommended for gouty arthritis pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have gouty arthritis and currently, I am drinking Urinorm to lower my uric acid. I am not eating anything that may increase uric acid but I do eat fish and pork. Right now, I am experiencing a pain in my right foot and I was wondering if I can drink Colchicine. I bought it when I had ...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you need to be sure that you are having pain due to an acute attack of gout or something else. Since you are already taking Urinorm, and if you have been regular in taking it, you should not have got the attack. In case you have been irregular in taking...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.