Q. Kindly suggest a solution to turn my gray hair to black.

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

I am a 36-year-old female. I am looking for a treatment for turning my white hair to black. Are there any recommended hair darkening lotions or organic shampoo bars?

#

Do you smoke? Are your serum iron or ferritin, or hemoglobin? Are you anemic? Do you have an autoimmune disorder, thyroid issues? What about your drug history? Do you use harsh chemicals loaded with chemicals? Do you use a hairdryer? What water do you use to take a shower, hard water or hot water shower? Do you have nutritional deficiencies?

There is no attached photograph in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to help you better. I need to see the affected area to assess the condition and to suggest appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

I am not sure about my iron/ferritin levels and anemia. Maybe I have low hemoglobin. No anemia, autoimmune disorder, and thyroid issues. I do not have any drug history.

I use Maui shampoo, and I also use a hairdryer after a medium-hot shower. Regarding the diet, I eat a pretty balanced diet. I have attached the pictures for your reference.

#

Reduction in melanin synthesis by pigment-producing cells (melanocytes) is the cause of greying of hairs. It usually occurs in the late 30s and 40s. Avoid the use of a hairdryer, hot shower bath.

Rule out anemia and thyroid by doing investigations like hemoglobin count and TFT (thyroid function tests).

Eat food rich in iron, green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, juices, eggs, and dairy products.

Avoid soap and shampoo loaded with chemicals.

Take tablet Calcium Pantothenate 200 mg once a day after breakfast for two months.

Do you have renal or kidney issues? Are you a diabetic and hypertensive? Are you stressed? Are you exposed to pollutants, toxins, or chemicals in water? Do you have vitiligo, Vitamin B 12 deficiency, iodine deficiency? Is there insufficient protein intake or excess intake of soda, cakes, candies, chocolates, food with refined sugar, carbohydrates, and sugar foods?

I do not have renal issues, and I am not stressed. Moreover, I am not diabetic or hypertensive. No exposure to pollutants, toxins, or chemicals in the water. No vitiligo and sure about Vitamin B12 deficiency, iodine deficiency, etc. I am not a fan of sweets or candies, and I do not eat them regularly.

#

Some of the causes or risk factors of greying of hair are stress, pollution, intake of sugar foods/carbs, nutritional deficiency like iron, iodine, vitamin deficiency, insufficient protein intake, hard water on hair, autoimmune disorder like pernicious anemia (vitamin B12 deficiency), vitiligo, lack of proper nutrients, excess intake of fast foods, thyroid (hyperthyroidism/hypothyroidism).

Genetic or hereditary factors also play a role in greying of hair. Do you have a family history of premature greying of hair/Canis?

Also, Para-aminobenzoic acid(PABA) 100 mg three times a day for two to four months is the option for greying hair (70 to 80 percent response is seen, and it depends on the individual case). Either of the two, like tablet Calcium Pantothenate 200 mg/day for two to four months or PABA, is the treatment of choice.

Is there hair loss, dandruff issues, or Pityriasis capitis? Do you have excessive sebum secretion due to the influence of hormones, reactive hyperplasia of the epidermis? Do you use excessive hair oil? as oil acts as food for dandruff. Do you have seborrheic dermatitis, itchy or flaky scalp?

Use Ketoscalp shampoo or Scalpe shampoo twice weekly for six weeks for dandruff issues. You can use a mild shampoo like Dove after dandruff resolves. Increase protein intake in your diet like nuts, milk, almonds, pulses, lentils, eggs, and dates.

|