Q. My bowel movements are bad with green stools for a month. Why?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am a 20-year-old female suffering from green stools for a month now. I go to the bathroom several times a day. This green color is not just present on the stool but it quickly spreads through the toilet water. It presents as a liquid on the stool. It seems to be fluffy diarrhea. I consulted a doctor last week and she told me that it can due to an infection of Clostridium difficle colitis or any other type of antibiotic-related colitis after using antibiotics for UTI. I have done a stool examination and the result is unknown. This is entirely new for me.

I have never had green stools even after taking foods made of green. I also have other strange symptoms such as canker sores, sudden weakness in the body with peeling, random dents in nails with nose bleeds, headaches, fatigue with confusion, and unable to concentrate on my works. I feel that these things are due to iron deficiency anemia. I have a strong urge to chew ice a lot. I have changed my diet before having these symptoms. I do not eat fish and eggs. I do not drink milk. I have not eaten green vegetables as I hate them. Can I have green stools due to anemia? My family is getting frustrated and I am worried. I really became pale and very exhausted due to running to the bathroom all the time in the day. I am taking Zoloft 50 mg and Ativan 1 mg daily. Please help me.

#

You need a detailed clinical examination to rule out the cause. Green stools occur when the intestinal colonic transit times are rapid and when there is no time for degradation of bile and so there is a change in the color of the stool. Taking iron supplements also cause green stools. Please send your blood reports, stool routine, and culture. Stop using iron supplements for now and take Sporolac (Lactic acid bacilli). Stop taking Sertraline (Zoloft) as it can cause diarrhea as its side effects. Take Sporolac and AD 100 (Racecadotril) one tablet in the morning and night. Drink plenty of water with ORS (oral rehydration solution). Have a follow up with the reports.

|