Q. I had grommets when was young, and now there is ringing and hearing loss. Could it be due to grommets?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 09, 2019

I had grommets as a baby, and my old ENT believed that I still had one in my left ear. I have had ringing in my ears, and it is getting to the point where I cannot hear myself think sometimes. Should I see someone new about it?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Grommet or ventilation tube insertion is done when there is a fluid accumulation behind the eardrum. The reason you would have had this as a child is probably due to adenoid hypertrophy causing eustachian tube dysfunction. Grommets depending on the type usually fall off, and it goes unnoticed unless a long term grommet has been inserted and you are getting yourself checked regularly from an ENT specialist.

Your problem is ringing sensation in the ear associated with deafness can be a result of the same issue for which grommet was primarily inserted. Other causes have to be certainly ruled out. A genuine suggestion would be to get your self examined by an ENT specialist and thereby get to know. What exactly is the issue currently?

Can a child travel by air after adenoidectomy?

Query: Hello doctor, My 17 months old daughter booked in for grommets and adenoidectomy due to fluid in middle ear and recurrent ear infections. We are flying two weeks after the procedure. We will be visiting a place with bad air pollution. Will she be more at risk of respiratory infection with no adenoi...  Read Full »

Can adenoids affect the height of a child?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 6.5 years old. When she was 1, she had a seizure for a couple of times in two years, for which she took medicine and now she is off from medicine for the last three years. Now recently she was diagnosed with adenoids for which we are going homeopathy. My concern is she ...  Read Full »

Is eating jamun in any way related to breathing problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been experiencing breathing problem for the past one week. Whenever I am trying to take long breathe, I am not able to push air completely inside through nose or mouth. After consecutive try, full breathe happens. There is no sign of a cough or pneumonia. Also, I do not have a cold...  Read Full »