Q. I have pain in my gums after eating chips. Will salt water gargling cure it?

Dr. Bharat Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am having intense pain in my gums behind the bottom left molar. The pain is there since yesterday morning. I think it may have been caused by a scratch-made by the jagged edge of a potato chip. Now the whole area is paining. I am doing salt water gargling. What do I do? Kindly give your opinion.

#

It seems to be gingival trauma due to food injury or infection. I suggest you get an OPG (orthopantomogram).

Please share a picture for confirmation of the severity of the lesion so that I can suggest the best treatment.

I am attaching a picture with the affected area highlighted. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Welcome back to ilciniq.com.

From the attached pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) both, cheek bite and food trauma are present. For the cheek bite right now, you can apply topical medication, but later, you can undergo selective grinding. Food trauma can resolve with topical medication only.

I suggest you apply Dologel (Choline Salicylate and Lidocaine) or Oraheal (Benzalkonium chloride) or Orasole (Choline Salicylate, Lignocaine, Benzalkonium Chloride) thrice a day for five days over the affected area and take Multivitamin (Zincostar or Zincovit) or any other Multivitamin once a day for ten days.

I suggest you do coronoplasty later. Avoid spicy and hot food intake from that side.

I hope this was helpful.

|