Q. What could cause severe gum pain?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

I have severe gum pain between two teeth for the past two days. If I press my gums, a small amount of blood comes, and I am taking tablet Calpol.

#

Any history of accidental food poking two days back (e.g., chips, popcorn, fish bones, fried foods,etc.)? Any accidental gum injury?

Gum pain, swelling, and bleeding could be due to accidental food lodgement, poking or due to toothbrush injury or could be because of calculus formation. Calculus is hardened yellow food deposit that form along the gum line that can cause gum bleeding.

A clear picture of the gums will help to determine what is causing this. If this is because of the above-mentioned reasons, a deep scaling procedure will be required to treat this. Due to this pandemic situation, the best thing to do now is to manage this with home remedies.

1. If you think food is lodged into the gums causing this symptom, try using floss to remove it. Take care not to push that further down. You can watch an online video on flossing for guidance. Do not use a toothpick because this can injure and irritate the gums.

2. Warm saline mouth rinses thrice daily will help manage this pain and other symptoms.

3. Continue the same medicine to manage the pain.

4. Rub an ice cube over the swollen gum spot for relief and this can help stop the bleeding.

And do get a complete dental scaling procedure done once this pandemic settles.

If this pain is unmanageable even after taking medicines, you can visit the nearest dentist and get it treated. Dentists are providing emergency care only and sometimes with prior telephonic consultation. Look for the nearest dentist and call them up before reporting. And do take care and follow self-protection protocols if you are going out to get it treated.

|