Q. Kindly explain whether there is a problem with hairline of my newborn.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

I was wondering if you could shed some light on something for me. I recently had my newborn daughter and something looks off. The doctor at the hospital said it was her hairline and I wanted your input. In the middle of her head it is brown and normal looking but on each side of the brown it is definitely lighter in color and less hair. I have uploaded a picture for you to look at. My husband's hairline is also like that but where his hairline cuts back there is no hair whatsoever. The second picture is of my husband's hairline for a comparison.

#

You have got a beautiful daughter there. Please do not worry about the widows peak (attachment removed to protect pataient identity). It is too early to comment on it. It will be clearly noticed by the time the child becomes a year old.

Frankly speaking even if there is a widows peak or for that matter any anomaly relating to the hair, there is nothing that can be done right now at this age group. So, please stop thinking about it and watch as the child grows. Whatever it is, it will be clearly distinguishable by the age of one year and by that age something can be done about it. Also, if you are very anxious I would advice a visit to the dermatologist who can examine the child thoroughly (as the examination in photo and person differs) and guide you on the issue.

|