Q. I have developed hair dye allergy. Please help.

Dr. Charu Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 18, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 09, 2019

I am a 52 year old male. I have been using hair dye since last 25 years. Two years back, I had hair dye reaction on the scalp. Yesterday morning, I had dye reaction again. The entire skin of scalp came out like snake's skin. After that rashes have come on the knee, elbow, and on the feet. What do I do?

#

As per the details given, it seems that you have hair dye allergy. Most of the hair dye products contain a chemical called PPD (para-phenylenediamine) which is responsible for allergic reactions. In such cases, I advise my patients to strictly avoid application of hair dye. You may use herbal henna for dyeing hair.

I advise my patients to apply topical steroid like Hydrocortisone in the affected area. Antihistamines like Levocetirizine also help. You need clinical examination. So, you should visit your doctor so that he can examine you and give you prescription accordingly. You can share my opinion with him.

Stay healthy.

Can you suggest any ointment?

#

If you can upload the images of the affected area, I would be able to help you better. Else, you may use Hydrocortisone cream over the affected area for a few days. You should avoid hair oil application.

|