Q. Can hair loss in a particular area be reversed?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

I am a 25-year-old female. I experience hair loss in a particular area. The rest of the hair is fine and fairly thick.

I just want to know, what type of hair loss is this considered to be? What stage is it at? If untreated, how bad can it get, what can we expect it to look like or become? Is there an easy fix for this? Is this normal? Please reply.

#

I have seen the pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is frontal hair loss. It will be of great help if you can send me a picture taking from above. This kind of hair loss is commonly due to pollution, dust exposure and wrong combing methods. It is also seen if the patient is excessively using cosmetic products on face and hair.

Please let me know if any of the above is present or not? Or do you have any medical disease?

I am shampooing the hair once a day and brushing once every day or two. Can you please answer the questions I posted in detail? Please also advise correct shampooing and combing methods.

#

I have gone through the images you have attached. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Answer to your questions are as follows.

This is frontal hair loss. It is stage 1 mostly, but needed serial pictures to quantify exact staging. If untreated, your hairline will gradually go deeper over the years. And your forehead will look more prominent.

If you avoid cosmetics, dust, pollution, etc., then this can be withheld. Use Dove shampoo and conditioner. And this condition of hair fall is not normal.

Can it be reversed? And if so, how?

#

Yes, it can be reversed. Use Dove shampoo and conditioner. Avoid too much cosmetics on face and hair. Avoid hair color, sprays, etc. Avoid dust and pollution. Start vitamin A and vitamin E capsules.

Sorry, I forgot to ask about your periods and drug history. Are you having normal periods? Are you taking any regular medicines like hormone pills or epilepsy pills? They are important aspects in hair loss. So please let me know the answers to the above asked questions.

Also, let me know your weight so that I can guide you better about the dosage of vitamin A and vitamin E. Hope I have solved your query.

I am not taking any regular medication. How often should I shampoo my hair? Is brushing my hair daily a problem? In order to reverse it, will this require vitamins and supplements for the rest of my life?

Please also note the attached picture which was taken four years ago. I have had this patch at the front of my head for a while but it has gotten slightly worse. Maybe I was born with my hair like this? Please provide detailed instructions to reverse it. I weigh about 50 kg and my height is 160 cm.

#

You should shampoo every alternate day, not daily. Regarding brushing, I think you are asking about combing right?

Better you start one capsule of vitamin A and E each once a day for at least three months and see the results. Yes, by seeing the picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it slightly worsens over time. Avoid dust, pollution, do proper combing, avoid tight upstroke, etc.

May I see your normal combing technique? You can attach the video here. Also, you have not tell me about your periods? Are they normal and regular? Have you ever checked for thyroid? All of these are also important.

|