iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologyhair lossI am facing sudden hair loss and hairline thinning. Kindly help.

How to treat sudden hair loss and hairline thinning?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 14, 2024
Reviewed AtFebruary 22, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello there,

I am a 37-year-old male. I have been facing sudden hair fall, thinning of hair at the crown, and receding hairline. I do not have any other medical conditions, and I am not currently taking any medications. This issue is starting to affect my confidence, and I am keen to find effective ways to manage these symptoms and possibly reverse the hair loss. Can you please suggest some reliable strategies to help alleviate the effects of pattern hair loss and provide some peace of mind?

Welcome to icliniq.com

I read your query and understand your concern. Hair thinning with a receding hairline is also called Male pattern hair loss or androgenetic alopecia. They may be due to the following reasons:

1. Genetic susceptibility: in case of family members having any signs of hair loss or hair thinning, especially from the maternal end of your family.

2. Hormonal fluctuations: in case of changes in Androgen hormones, they may trigger hair thinning and hair loss.

3. Other causes include stress, the presence of dandruff, irregularity in sleep patterns, any underlying medical conditions like thyroid conditions, the use of hair styling products due to climate changes, location changes, and dietary changes. Consuming medications for underlying conditions like antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications due to infections like chicken pox, COVID-19 infection, dengue, and typhoid triggers the same. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies also cause hair loss.

I suggest to take

1. Minoxidil+ finasteride 5 percent solution ( mini chek F, morr F, mintop, man matters solution): They may be applied daily on the affected areas in 1ml quantity at night on a clean and dry scalp and massaged into the scalp. They may be kept overnight and washed off in the morning. They may be used for at least two years daily and then gradually reduced over the next few years. For example, they may be used daily for two years, and then they may be reduced to six days per week for the next six months, to five days per week for the next six months, and so on. Make sure not to stop its usage abruptly.

2. Tablet. Perfectil HK vitals (biotin gummies) may be consumed daily after dinner for three months.

3. B protein powder may be mixed in water or milk using one tablespoon of the powder and consumed after breakfast daily.

4. Anaboom anti-hair fall shampoo: this shampoo may be used for cleansing the scalp once every three days.

5. Consuming enough proteins in the form of egg whites, chicken breasts, sprouted green beans, quinoa, soya chunks, and almonds is good. Consuming enough fruits, vegetables, fiber, and at least 3 liters of water is good. Collagen-rich foods like seafood, chicken skin, spinach, almonds, nuts, berries, tuna, and salmon are also good.

6. Oiling of the scalp once a week is good. Using a combination of Coconut oil, castor oil, and vitamin E capsule oil in a ratio of 3:2:1 may be done. They may be kept for one hour and washed off with shampoo

7. PRP (platelet rich plasma) scalp is a procedure that is good for hair growth stimulation.

In this procedure, the doctor collects around 10 to 12 ml of your blood sample in a test tube and spins it in a machine called a centrifugal machine which separates platelets which are growth factors in the tube that are then injected into the scalp after extracting using an insulin syringe. They are done once a month for 6 months.

8. Trichoscopic examination of the scalp to understand the root strength and presence of roots in areas where the line has receded is advised. This is done at hair clinics by doctors using pen-like equipment connected to a screen. In case of the absence of hair roots, a hair transplant procedure may be considered as a last resort. If roots are present, the above-mentioned medications and PRP scalp treatment will be helpful.

9. Blood tests for vitamin D3, Vitamin B12, and DHEAS (Dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate) to check androgen levels may also be done to rule out deficiencies and in case of changes in vitamin levels, supplements may be needed.

Do not worry. I would like to assure you that there are multiple treatment modalities available for the concern you are facing. It will be helpful to bring back self-confidence in you. I hope I can be of help.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty
Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Venereology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dermatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy