Q. How to get my hair fall under control?

Dr. Shaunak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 26, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 26, 2019

I am a 20 year old boy. I am suffering from hair fall. How to get it cured? Please advice.

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

It is very normal for around 100 hairs to fall each day. We do not notice this because all of those do not fall at once. Second of all, I would like to ask you whether is it hereditary on your maternal and paternal side? It is called androgenic hair loss.

With these major queries ruled out, I would shift the focus on diet and sleep. Diet should be regular with a lot of greens and milk. Eat a good amount of protein as this should reduce the rate of hair fall and also provide a good body to your thinning hair. Hair is precious and does not play with it by trying out new brands with overwhelming claims. Stick to a gentle daily cleanser, medicated products are much more quality assured than fancy brands in the market. Hence, I suggest you use products like Kerawash shampoo and a good conditioner.

Washing your hair at least three to four times a week is mandatory. Conaderm (combination of Ketoconazole and Zinc pyrithione) is good for dandruff. But if there is no dandruff and simply continuing with the anti-dandruff shampoo will eventually cause hair loss on chronic repeated use.Any medication beyond a particular time period will cause a side effect. So, stop using it if the desired result has been achieved. If not then treat dandruff first.

The only shampoo will not help. You have to take medicines and use an anti-dandruff shampoo at the same time. The proper way to use an anti-dandruff shampoo is to apply it on scalp rather than the hair and once desired foaming is achieved, let it stay in the head for 2-3 minutes so that the medication has got sufficient time to act on your scalp.

Observe good hygiene wherein you wash your pillow cover every four to five days in summer and seven to eight days in winter. Because the germs causing dandruff can be inside the pillow cover and after you shampoo and clean your hair, it can come and sit there again when you sleep so the treatment has got no effect overall.

If it is a hormonal problem, then we need to start the medicine as soon as possible so that to control the effect of hormones on your hair.Once desired control is achieved over a period of two months then we can shift the focus on regrowing the lost hair and cover the bald patches.Send me some clear pictures of your scalp of different parts and we can start treatment as soon as possible. Do not worry, it is just a matter of time before we control your hair fall and you can have your desired hairstyle done. Stay positive.

| 

Which shampoo is best for dandruff?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having problem of acute flaky dandruff and also itching in my hair. I have tried Topisal, Nizral and various other shampoos as well. However, there is no respite from dandruff. Please suggest me some good mediation as well as shampoo and oil. Currently I am under sugar and BP medica...  Read Full »

I have oily dandruff and dry hairs with hair fall. How can I be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have oily dandruff and dry hairs and hair fall. So what should I do if I wash hairs every day so they will become more dry and thin too?  Read Full »

Alopecia - Hair loss Treatment Through Homeopathy

Article Overview: Hair fall problems are at a rise, and even young adults are complaining about it. This article provides homeopathic treatment options for hair fall. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Nowadays, hair fall problem is gradually increasing. Many young adults have been complaining about hair loss issues. Some of them complain about genetic or hereditary kind of hair loss, while some of them complain hair fall after the use of certain medications or due to some external factors like ch...  Read Article