Q. I have extreme hairfall along with painful boils and dandruff. Please suggest solution.

Dr. B. T. Priya
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I am suffering from extreme hair fall and boils on my scalp. Hair is falling from the root for the last couple of years. These boils come with pus and they settle down, become dry and turn into dandruff. It is quite painful when the boils are in full swing as if someone is pulling your hair.

I have had this problem earlier also and I have seen many doctors. They have loaded me with medicines and supplements. Every time I consulted a doctor, I would have their medicines for a month or two and then stop thinking it has not suited me or I find no difference. They use terms which confused me more than giving me confidence. I tried allopathy, unani and yoga for blood circulation. One doctor even suggested mesotherapy, serums, etc. But now the hair fall has been so bad from a normal sized clutch I have started using two sizes smaller and even that pokes. There is hair everywhere when I do shampoo, or comb when I just run my hands through it. There are a lot of gaps. Literally it pulls down my confidence.

I am currently on Revital woman once daily, Btn forte once daily, D-rise sachet once a week with milk.

Dr. B. T. Priya

Dermatology
#

I went through all your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), investigation, and detailed history. Recurrent boils on the scalp can be a continuous problem for many people. It can also be pre-runner for seborrheic dermatitis. Minoxidil should not be used irregularly. Once started with minoxidil the result will be after six months and you should not stop in the middle. Otherwise, it will be followed by severe hair fall.

Your vitamin D is low but you are already on medication. Hemoglobin is also very low. Please start iron supplements along with fresh vegetables, dates, and fruits rich in iron. Keep your dandruff under control. Continue BTN Forte (Biotin forte) and Revital. For iron, take Zincofer tablet daily. Please start on Microdox LBX (Doxycycline and Lactic acid bacillus)100 mg once a day for two weeks. Do not scratch the area.

Use Scalpe shampoo. Dilute it with water, and make sure of 10 minutes contact with the scalp. Then wash off. Second-line antibiotics to be changed only step by step.

| 

Should I take these medicines after meals? Should I get in touch after two weeks?

Dr. B. T. Priya

Dermatology
#

Yes, all medicines after food only. It will take a minimum of three months to get your hairfall under control. Tablets will not stop the hairs which are already affected and falling now. It is only to make new hair grow in the area of hairfall. Raise and maintain your hemoglobin above 12.

|