Q. My HbA1c is reduced from 10. 2 to 6. 4 on medication. Should I continue the medicine?

Dr. Divakara P

I have recently got married and moved abroad. When I was in India last time, we got the medical tests done and diagnosed with diabetes HbA1c of 10.2 and fasting blood sugar as 235. Doctor gave me Cetapin XR 1000 mg and asked me to use it for three months and get the medical test done. I have got the tests done and now the HbA1c is 6.4 and FBS is 124 mg/dL. With total cholesterol 173 (103 is bad cholesterol, 47 is good cholesterol and rest is VLDL). I have low vitamin D of 18.9. Doctor asked me to continue Cetapin XR 1000 mg for another three months and gave me medication for cholesterol Lipitor 10 mg every night and Vitamin D2 50,000 units once a week for three months. I have attached the medical reports, Please look into it and let me know your feedback.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and your HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) has improved really well. I am happy about that.

As advised by the doctor continue taking Cetapin the same dose. But as of Lipitor is concerned I think only 5 mg is sufficient. In addition, you have to reduce nonvegetarian food, avoid alcohol, butter cheese, and potatoes. Eat more vegetables. Hope you are exercising every day. Continue vitamin D supplement weekly once for three months. Repeat HbA1c, and lipid profile after three months and revert back with reports.

| 

I have reduced the non-vegetarian diet and alcohol intake. I am going for a brisk walk every day for 50 minutes. As you advised, I will continue the medication and get the tests done after three months.

Dr. Divakara P

#

Good to hear that you are on a good diet and exercising every day, keep it going. If possible increase the walking speed a bit every two to three weeks.

| 

Why is my vision opaque after a corneal transplant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having vision problem in my right eye. I had corneal transplant done and no stitches have been removed. My vision is opaque now. Is this possibly a rejection? For the eye, I am using Prednisolone, Timolol, antibiotic eye drops and Muro 128. I am diabetic and also taking medicines fo...  Read Full »

Why am I having raised cholesterol levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a full blood count done and would like a second opinion on the results. It was my cholesterol which surprised me. I have never suffered from high cholesterol but over the past three years, it has kept up and recent tests showed serum cholesterol 7 mmol/L/HDL, 1.25 mmol/L/L...  Read Full »

Is diabetes medicine needed if HbA1c is 7.5?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now