Q. What does HbA1c level of 6. 3 indicate?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
Published on Feb 13, 2019

I took my HbA1c blood test and it came back 6.3. Am I diabetic or pre-diabetic? I have brought a change in my eating habits completely and exercising twice per day. Will this reduce my results in six months or I should take diabetic medicines?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
#

HbA1c % 6.3 is considered a pre-diabetic state. Following are the criteria to diagnose diabetes:

1. Normal: FBG: 70 to 100 mg/100 ml, PP: less than 140 mg and HbA1c % less than 5.7.

2. Pre-diabetes: FBG: 101 to 125 mg, PP 141 to 199 mg and HbA1c % 5.7 to 6.4.

3. Diabetes: FBG: 126 mg and above, PP: 200 mg and above and HbA1c % 6.5 % and above.

Fortunately, when a person is in a prediabetic state, it can be reversed or prevented from progressing to diabetes or progression to diabetes can be delayed for a very long time by adopting a modified lifestyle. Which means taking a properly balanced diet that provides calories just as much required based on ideal body weight and extent of daily exercise.

Secondly, exercising regularly for over one hour and maintaining near normal weight. Plus avoiding sweets, junk foods, pastries, bakery items and increasing the intake of fiber-containing foods, green leafy vegetables, salads, and fruits. Refraining from alcohol and smoking is also helpful.

My HbA1c levels have reduced. Does it mean my diabetes is gone?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57 year male. Four months ago, the doctor declared that I am diabetic as my HbA1c was 10.7 %. I started with Glimisave M2 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 (one tablet at night), later on, I shifted to Glimisave M1 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 as usual. I take other su...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. From what you have mentioned, it appears that you have controlled your diabetes quite well. I would suggest that you take tablet Glimisave (Glimepiride) M2 once in the morning and tablet Glimisave M1 once at night. Your diabetes is not gone, but...  Read Full

My HbA1c is 7.5. Should I continue my tablet for diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ankush Gupta
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that took medicine for a month, still your HbA1c - glycated hemoglobin is 7.5 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is little high. The target of HbA1c should be less than 7. So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glycipha...  Read Full

Can low dose of human growth hormone lead to type 2 diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have prediabetes (5.8 fasting blood glucose). Can low doses of human growth hormone used for bodybuilding lead to type 2 diabetes? My mother has type 2 diabetes mellitus.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. 5.8 mg/dL of glucose is too low. Prediabetes is fasting blood glucose between 110 to 126 mg/dL and above it is frank diabetes. Type 2 diabetes cannot be caused by small or large doses of human growth hormone. Type 2 diabetes is autoimmune in nature and it is mostly geneti...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now