Q. Am I having headache with low concentration level due to stroke?

Dr. Aida Quka

Pain on the left front portion of my skull which has been on and off for three months. I also get head pressure and I feel my concentration level is short. Is it a stroke?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I understand your concern and would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not related to a stroke. In my opinion, your symptoms could be related to an eye disorder or a sinus issue. For this reason, it is necessary consulting with an ophthalmologist for a physical exam and performing a sinus X-ray study. If all the above test results are normal, you should consider psychological stress as the main cause of your complaints. In such case, there is no reason to worry about.

| 

Just to confirm with the pin pointable pain and it moving to the back of my eye and feeling a bit nausea this is not a symptom of a stroke. It is more relating to an eye issue. One thing that I also wanted to point out if you can advise as to what you think it is. I get a feeling as if the light above me is flickering or I have blinked, what could that be? Also, what are the classic stroke symptoms and age?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Your symptoms are not suggestive of stroke. In my opinion, your symptoms could be related to an eye disorder. For this reason, I think that it is important consulting with an ophtalmologist first in order to exclude this possibility. A stroke would cause an abrupt onset of loss of vision in one eye or in half of the field that we see in both our eyes. Anyway, these symptoms would also be associated to numbness or weakness of the contralateral or same side limbs.

Pain is not a sign of stroke, as our brain does not ache. The headache usually originates from the skull structures (bones, muscles, blood vessels, soft tissues). So, you can see that we can completely exclude any stroke in your clinical situation. As your brain MRI was normal, we can also exclude other disorders like: a born defect, an infection of the brain, MS or a tumor. So, in my opinion if this is not an eye issue, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your complaints.

Anyway, even if it were psychological stress or tension type headache, the treatment is quite the same: physical activity and an antidepressant (including fluoxetine, sertraline, etc.).

|