Q. Could severe headaches be due to brain damage?

Dr. Parth Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Mar 18, 2019

I am experiencing severe headaches. I have not slept in two days. I am having erratic thoughts, more so than usual which scares me a bit, to be honest. I feel like I am on the verge of a breakdown. I have had two psychotic breakdowns in the last two years. The headaches are getting worse. Initially, the pain is like a pulse and starts in any one side of my head, front, back, and either side. I am on medication prescribed by my doctors. I want to know if this might be happening because of damage to my brain or something. I have not done any scans yet, but it sure feels like there is something wrong inside my head. This feels more like a confession than a question, I know and I apologize. I need to know if my current situation is something that I should genuinely be worried about or not. Whether the things that I have described here could be signs of a breakdown and what I can do to prevent it? Thank you to anyone who reads this, and I would appreciate your advice.

Dr. Parth Singh

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

The nature of pain you described fits into the diagnosis of vascular headache. It merely occurs due to dilation of blood vessels in the scalp and inflammation of perivascular tissues. Although it causes significant discomfort, it is a very benign illness and has nothing to do with psychosis.

It gets aggravated by stress, change in weather, change in atmospheric pressure, intense sunlight, noise, etc. The treatment is simple in most of the cases.

Naproxen 500 mg and Sumatriptan can terminate acute episodes. For prevention of such headaches, a combination of Propranolol and Flunarizine would be helpful. Some people respond better to Topiramate.

Why do I have a sharp pain on right side of the head?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. I started having intense, sharp, constant pain behind my right eye, right temple area and backside of the right side of my head. It started before three months for once a week for the first three weeks. Then, I started having the sharp pain the every other day. An...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your symptoms well. Actually, what you have is cluster headache only. Your symptom profile fits into the classic description of cluster headache. The relief with antibiotics was a mere coincidence. The pain of sinusitis has totally different pattern than ...  Read Full

Can Aleve and Goody's powder cause stomach upset?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a migraine, so I took two tablets of Aleve. It did not work, so I took Goody's powder, but the pain was still there, so I took another one. The migraine pain has gone, but my stomach seems to be upset.  Read Full >>

Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your headache. Aleve (Naproxen) and Goody's powder (combination of Aspirin, Acetaminophen, and Caffeine) both contain NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Piroxicam, Diclofenac, etc. Although NSAIDs are very...  Read Full

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, Nevanac (Nepafenac) does not have such side effects. But, I suggest you reduce the frequency of Nevanac to twice daily after 15 days and then to once at bedtime after next 15 days. You said you are wearing -2.75 in the right and -3.75 in left. This is a spherica...  Read Full