Q. Could severe headaches be due to brain damage?

Answered by Dr. Parth Singh and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema

Do you have a question on Headache or Sumatriptan? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am experiencing severe headaches. I have not slept in two days. I am having erratic thoughts, more so than usual which scares me a bit, to be honest. I feel like I am on the verge of a breakdown. I have had two psychotic breakdowns in the last two years. The headaches are getting worse. Initially, the pain is like a pulse and starts in any one side of my head, front, back, and either side. I am on medication prescribed by my doctors. I want to know if this might be happening because of damage to my brain or something. I have not done any scans yet, but it sure feels like there is something wrong inside my head. This feels more like a confession than a question, I know and I apologize. I need to know if my current situation is something that I should genuinely be worried about or not. Whether the things that I have described here could be signs of a breakdown and what I can do to prevent it? Thank you to anyone who reads this, and I would appreciate your advice.