Q. I get dull headache and dizziness while playing and it relieves on pain killers. Please help.

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

I am a 24-year-old male. Yesterday, I was hitting golf balls, and after each swing, I could feel tightness and dull headache in my forehead and upper eyes. It almost felt like the pressure was being released after finishing striking the ball. However, after each game, especially with harder swings, dull headache persisted. I also had slight dizziness after striking, but this could have been from how bright it was outside. I had this sensation before when hitting golf balls, but not present every time. The headache went away after taking Advil. Today I swing clubs again and felt a similar headache in my right forehead. Once again, Tylenol relieved the dull headache. Upon looking into the matter, thinking it was a golf swing error, vertebral artery dissection came up. If these symptoms match this problem, I will seek medical help.

#

As you have described, you have a headache while hitting golf, which is localized on the right forehead, followed by dizziness. Later, it disappeared after taking medicine or taking rest. So with this scenario, I will tell you that the dissection of the artery is highly unlikely. These symptoms are acute, and they persist, not recovered quickly. So this is not the cause.

The second thing you have to rule out hypertension and migraine with photophobia if you have. Next, most commonly, when we stress something on our frontal lobe more actively, it might cause pain. Overall, I feel this is just physiological. When you play, do not overthink or reduce anxiety and stress levels. You can wear sunglasses and avoid sunshine. Go for the above test and connect me.

What is the reason for tightness and dull headache? And kindly help with medications.

#

So, as I told you, tightness and full headache are due to overstress, causing you more strain, and you feel pain. You can take tablet Propranolol 40 mg daily to avoid this. Also, start meditation and relaxing exercise. This is not absolutely artery dissection as there are severe symptoms of vertigo, vision blurring, ataxia, postural imbalance, and all.

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

|