Q. I have a headache after I tripped and hit my head. Can brain bleed be the cause?

Dr. S D Sinha
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 11, 2021

I tripped and hit my head against a wall a few days back. I did not have any external bleeding. After that, I started to have headaches. I think that I got a mild concussion. My friends told me that it does not require anything to treat this condition as I do not have any other symptoms. My headaches were not too bad earlier but now it is very worst. I do not know what to do. I was taking OTC drugs for headaches and I read that it is not advisable to take medications in cases having bleeding on the brain. So I stopped taking it. I have a lingering headache. Previously I had COVID-19 last month and tested negative using a nasal swab initially. I use to have bad headaches after having a positive result. After 14 days, I got a negative result. I started to have headaches only after hitting my head on the wall. I hit my head last year on the coffee table. I went to urgent care and the doctor advised me to take some rest. I had headaches for several days. I took Lisinopril 5 mg. I have ulcerative colitis along with it.

#

You are having symptoms of headache continuously after having corona negativity. It can be a continuation of an episode. If it was caused due to possible brain damage or its associated structures due to blunt trauma, then you are more likely to have symptoms like nausea, bleeding from the facial orifice, giddiness, seizures along with headaches. In some cases, headaches alone may persist. Peripheral skull injury can also cause headaches. You can do MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain to diagnose and rule out brain-related damage. Please mention the OTC (over-the-counter) medications taken by you to guide you further treatment. Have a follow-up with the results of the MRI brain and a list of OTC medications taken by you.

|