Q. There is intermittent frontal, occipital and parietal upper sinus pain with dizziness. Please help.

Published on Dec 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 09, 2019

My mother, 72 years old, is having intermittent frontal, occipital and parietal upper sinus pain and pressure with dizziness. I took her to the ER last week because she was having dizziness with blurred vision and the pain. They did a CT scan and it came back negative of any lesions. What can I do to help her? We tried several OTC medications- nothing. The ER doctor prescribed Meclizine 12.5 mg for her dizziness, however the medication makes her feel like she is "out of her body' and real drowsy and fatigued. She has a follow up appointment with her primary doctor tomorrow.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I am giving you some suggestions in the wake of the conversation we had. The symptoms are not classical of ENT sinus headache. It appears more towards neurological.

Meclizine is a strong antihistaminic with anti-vertigo properties based on its central nervous system depressant actions. Some people develop hallucinations with the drug. Perhaps your mother also developed the same. Stop the drug. For vertigo administer her Betahistine tablets. 16 mg tablet thrice a day and start tapering after four days.

I suggest you give her a course of antibiotics after discussing with your physician to remove any focus of infection that could be present in the sinuses causing pressure and headache. Also try steam inhalation as frontal sinus headaches tend to get relieved by steam. Kindly consult with an ENT surgeon and a neurologist as further consultations. An ENT specialist can help rule out sinus headaches, ENT infections or ascertain ENT cause for vertigo. If no such cause found a neurologist can help find out the cause. Show the neuro your CT report.

| 

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full »

Can I take Hydroxyzine Hcl 25 mg while pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is four months pregnant now. She has itchy palms. The doctor advised to take tablet Atarax 25 mg (Hydroxyzine hydrochloride). Is it safe to have this tablet during pregnancy? Kindly guide.  Read Full »

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full »

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now